Burglar murdered..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the judge except on one point, that being that the owner used a shotgun.
Firstly, who the heck goes into a junk yard, sees a couple people stripping parts, and decides yep time to fill them full of lead coz that's MY headlight. I know some of you will disagree there and yeah guess it comes down to the situation, but really he's killing them over scrap metal (unless as nitestick said he lives in the junkyard).

But, the fact he used a shotgun is pretty ugly, I've seen close up what something getting hit close range by one of them looks like. No doubt he had too, and knew he'd likely be killing or maiming them. A pistol would easily have been enough, or heck even a shotgun blast directed away from them. I don't care if I got hit or not, if I heard some cranky old guy yell behind me then heard a gun go off, I'd be ****ing dropping whatever I had and getting the **** out of there ASAP regardless of if I was armed or not myself.

There is a lot that we don't know though. The gauge of the shotgun and the shot fired (bird/buck) and the distance all play a factor on what the end product looks like.

^It's a Junkyard owner in the USA in question :p going by stereotypes he's got a 12 gauge with mini nukes inside.
Seriously though, going by statistics he's got a 12 gauge. Don't know what type of shot, but in terms of dealing lethal damage to a human it's a bit of a moot point, especially when you consider that one kid died in under 2 minutes (the logical deduction being he must've been close and/or hit in a major artery).

Really though, even with birdshot at distance you're looking at some pretty bad damage over a large area.

I've been hit by birdshot (quail hunting), from approx. 20 yards (60ft.) or so, it stung but the shot didn't make it through my clothing.

He does live in the junkyard. This happened at around 1am so he couldn't tell what they were doing. He said he took the shotty as he didn't know if it was someone of some dogs.

S0ULphIRE:1931716 said:
An actual local event:

A guy I know and his dad own a junk yard (vehicles only). He heard someone messing around one night out in the junk yard, so he takes his shotgun out with him. He walked up on two individuals stripping parts out there in the dark. he fired on them and got one who died within a minute or so while he was chasing the other one. The second one got away but had been wounded by the initial blast. It turned out to be two 16 year olds who were stealing parts to sell as scrap metal. When the case was brought up before the judge he tossed it out because the two were on private property and in the commission of a crime.

The end result would be the same if it happened inside of someone's house.

I agree with the judge except on one point, that being that the owner used a shotgun.
Firstly, who the heck goes into a junk yard, sees a couple people stripping parts, and decides yep time to fill them full of lead coz that's MY headlight. I know some of you will disagree there and yeah guess it comes down to the situation, but really he's killing them over scrap metal (unless as nitestick said he lives in the junkyard).

But, the fact he used a shotgun is pretty ugly, I've seen close up what something getting hit close range by one of them looks like. No doubt he had too, and knew he'd likely be killing or maiming them. A pistol would easily have been enough, or heck even a shotgun blast directed away from them. I don't care if I got hit or not, if I heard some cranky old guy yell behind me then heard a gun go off, I'd be ****ing dropping whatever I had and getting the **** out of there ASAP regardless of if I was armed or not myself.

Shotguns are used by a lot of people because they are easy to operate and guaranteed to be effective. I have read about cops putting 6. 38's into a criminal on PCP and it didn't even slow them down. Needless to say a 12 gauge would be much more likely to stop someone on drugs like that.

I would get out of there after hearing a a shot as well but you and I are not criminals. One of them could have just as easily pulled out a gun and killed the junkyard owner after hearing the shot.

A different weapon may have been less deadly but you never know. He could have used a AK-47 or. AR-15 and the outcome probably would have been the same. Likewise a. 357 or. 45 isn't exactly non lethal.

See that's the crazy.. The guy was in no peril of his life, though his livlihood was being stolen.

I'm sure if he had ducked behind a car blasted off a shot, most if not all would take off, criminal as well. Nobody wants to die over 20bucks, and noone wants to be up on murder charges.

There was a multitude of non violent options avaliable. But no buddy has to live with knowing he killed a person over $30 of scrap.

^rofl

I've been hit by birdshot (quail hunting), from approx. 20 yards (60ft.) or so, it stung but the shot didn't make it through my clothing.

Size of shot and layers of clothing? Towards the larger end of the scale with bird, even at 60ft, I reckon you'd come out looking a little pecked lol. Especially if it hit an unexposed bit of skin, e.g face or neck.

@PJ, pretty extreme example with a guy on PCP wouldn't you say? Not very likely that two guys on PCP would decide to start stripping a junkyard. Also, a different weapon may have been less deadly full stop. Sure it's still got the *potential* to kill, but honestly if you were given the choice of someone firing a pistol or a shotgun at you, which would you choose and why? I rest my case.
And you and I aren't criminals? Hehehe, speak for yourself :grin: I double park like a gansta.

^rofl

Size of shot and layers of clothing? Towards the larger end of the scale with bird, even at 60ft, I reckon you'd come out looking a little pecked lol. Especially if it hit an unexposed bit of skin, e.g face or neck.

it's been a long time ago, shot size was 8 or 9, standard bird shot. Seems like I was wearing long-johns, overalls, flannel shirt and a lightweight hunting vest and a cap. At that distance I was only hit by a couple pellets, the shot came from the side and hit me in the arm and buttocks. Felt like a bee sting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom