Buffalo Technology Wireless-G Wi-Fi Gaming Access Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakaggo

Idealist Gamer
So can anyone tell me anything about this? I've heard good things about it.

Some things I'd like to know:

1) This can be used just by connecting it to a modem right?

2) Does it have lan ports as well as wireless connections available?

3) Though you can connect with the push of a button does it also work like a normal wireless router?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

All of this information is readily avialable on Buffalo's webpage, or via a Google search...

1 - In a manner of speaking yes, but you will want to place a router between this and the modem. Without a router, or something than can do NAT, then you will only be able to have one host connect at a time.

2 - No, this is an access point, not a router, so it has 1 single LAN port which will generally be plugged into a router or switch. Alternativly, if this is able to work in wireless bridged mode, then it connects to the router wirelessly, and the LAN port can connect to a host or a switch.

3 - No, again, this is an access point, not a router. Think of it as a wireless antenna for a router.

Again, all of the infomation you are looking for is right on the same page you provided a link to........

Please read the Product description under the picture, and then post any additional questions you might have.

A simple yes would suffice. I was hoping someone would actually help. I don't need anyone to tell me what I already know. My question is to someone who has experience with the machine. On top of that its always good to have a second opinion. If you're not going to give either of those I don't see any reason for posting.

Every router will have at least 2 interfaces. One for the WAN (plugs into your modem), and one for the LAN. The number of interfaces will vary from router to router, but generally the broadband routers (a.k.a. gateways) will come with 1 WAN port, and 4 LAN ports. This particular model also has the single WAN port, and 4 LAN ports, as well as wireless.

1 - Yes, this can connect directly to a modem
2 - Yes, there are LAN ports
3 - N/A - it is a wireless router

Thank you. I'm going to either buy this or recommend it for/to a friend and I don't want to have something go horribly wrong. As you can tell from the posting I tend to overlook things and I don't want that to happen.

I appreciate the help. He is pretty inept at tech stuff for the AOSS system is perfect for him. If I didn't have a pretty good router myself I would probably get this. Supposedly its really really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom