Broadcasting SSID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac936

Baseband Member
Is this the correct forum? If not mods feel free to move it. Ok I consider myself well versed in the computer stuff but I lack experience. I have wireless network set up. Basically a wireless router with some machines wired and some wireless. I am trying to harden my security so I do things like mac filtering, only hand out enough IP addresses from DHCP that I am going to need. I also use WPA, which is working. The problem then is that when I try to turn off broadcast ssid and manually configure all the machines not all the wireless clients recognize the network and are unable to connect. All machines are running a variation of XP. I'm hesistant on posting all the details of my network so ask only what you need to know such as OS, brand names, social security numbers, and passwords, and nic info.

A few things I tried to get it to see the SSID without broadcasting:

- Disable security (I tried a bunch of things and have multiple pc's so I can't be sure if I tried everything.)
- Update drivers
- Update firmware
- Update OS

I manually configured them all the same way by going into network connections -> wireless connection -> wireless authentication -> new access point or w/e

They all currently have connectivity and only some worked without broadcasting SSID.

ok are you using windows to configure your wireless net or the software ith the wireless adaptor?

if you use windows then right click on the wireless icon choose properties ,then in a box that shows the networks click add then type in the name and choose the WPA password in the box.

That should connect to that network even if the SSID is turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom