Broadband Cards/Twisted Pairs Questions

givmefive5

Beta member
Good day, If you don't mind, please help me, we're trying to solve series of problems in the rural area of our region. We are trying to figure out ways of having internet connection in there area as a substitute for their long walk/swim to get to school.

Please help me by answering a few questions:

1. Does anyone know how far could broadband cards actually be at its maximum? Would it be possible to read the mountain/ remote areas in a certain region? (Imagine the farthest area possible away from the city/sub-urban area in your place)

2. Is it even possible to put wired internet connection to a certain remote place? Remote places could include mountainous areas/ underdeveloped islands Yea, I know it's a pretty stupid question.

3. Feel free to post suggestions

Problem: Mga Batang Lukso Part 1 by GMA News TV's Brigada - YouTube
There are several parts of our country that currently faces problems like this.

Thank you very much for your time!

Matthew Go, De la Salle University, Student

Hello,

1. By broadband cards you mean wireless signal? You can have point to point connections using telecommunications equipment. It would have to be clear line of sight from each dish, usually on towers. These links can travel many kilometers. Costly.

2. Copper ethernet connections only have limited range (100m). Obviously ISPs have DSL which is run over telephone lines. Limited range however. Single-mode fiber is the standard for long haul data connections. It can go several kilometers, same as the point to point connections that wireless ISPs employ. Trouble is running the fiber all the way without risk of damage. Expensive as well.

3. Depends on the distance and budget. I'm assuming a long distance and small budget. The only thing I can think of is seeing if there is any ISP that provides a satellite connection. It will be slower and some delay, but better than nothing and cheaper.

Creativity

Thanks Creativity, For the broadband cards, I actually meant those USBs that allows you to connect to the internet anywhere you are. In our country, it's actually called Internet-On-The-Go USBs. Would it be possible for these connection to still have the signal to connect to the internet?

Could you also give me keywords for the equipments that could possibly be used for the point to point connections? After stating that this would need clear line of sight, does that mean that surely it won't work if we tried to implement this type of connection on mountainous regions in our country?

Thank you very much!

Thanks Creativity, For the broadband cards, I actually meant those USBs that allows you to connect to the internet anywhere you are. In our country, it's actually called Internet-On-The-Go USBs. Would it be possible for these connection to still have the signal to connect to the internet?

Could you also give me keywords for the equipments that could possibly be used for the point to point connections? After stating that this would need clear line of sight, does that mean that surely it won't work if we tried to implement this type of connection on mountainous regions in our country?

Thank you very much!

Regarding the Internet-On-The-GO USBs. They connect to a cellular signal. So if you can get a data cell reception where you want Internet, then they should work fine.

Try "point to point wireless backhaul solutions" or something similiar. I am not to familiar with low budget equipment. In reference to line of sight, it basically means that you need to physically see the place that you want the signal to go. If there is a big mountain in the way it won't work.

Ideally, if the Internet-On-The-GO USBs will work for you, that is probably the best bet provided you don't go over their data limits.

If you are that far from the city/town, try looking at maybe going to Hughesnet for sattellite internet. it maybe your only option.

I highly doubt that cellular reception would reach the places we have targeted. Anyway, what about WiFi Antennas with high gain? It's a pretty dumb question but, how do we get Internet connection assuming we already have these antennas?

Back
Top Bottom