Breaking the habit

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
I am divided on this issue, LINUX, I want it but I dont want it. Mainly because its such a hard transition from Windows. Ahhhh! Windows is like smoking, if you have been smoking most of your life, its very hard to give up without the chewing gum, the patches or stacking on the kilos. I want Linux for its reliability, and great support and the sheer nature of it. But Windows is like a drug, i like to game and thats one thing i can't do on linux. Also, all my programs are on Windows. If i were going to switch i would have to do it in a holidays because of the "culture shock".

Wayne

you can game on linux, just not very many of them

doom(all of them), matter of fact doom3 came out for linux well before OS X
soldier of fortune
alpha centauri
counterstrike(I think)
x-plane
civilization call to power
about 20 other titles,most run in openGL

best way to do this is just get another machine and learn it a little at a time, you dont need anything expensive or particularly fast, heck, it runs fine on a p200 with 128mb of ram and a 4-6GB HD, of course to do anything intensive you need more, but you can learn all of it on a slow cheap machine

windows has its place, but once youve worked with linux for awhile, its hard to use windows and not laugh hysterically at it, windows is a toy compared to linux

I know people on the hardware forum have to be really puzzled or pissed at some of my comments about windows, for example, guess what, in linux, there's no defragging, EVER, linux filesystems dont need it.There's a whole bunch of things about linux that are like that too, linux is an OS made by geeks,for geeks, so, it may be a little weird at first, but it makes sense very quickly once you get used to how literal and direct it really is.Another benefit is its unix based, so learning linux is also learning unix,OS X, freeBSD, and any of the POSIX compliant OS's.

Its for your own growth young man, give it a shot.I kow what its like to be into games, been there done that, spent thousands of $$ on it.At some point though, games get tired, and sometimes you just wanna get things done quickly without having to worry if its gonna work, no more crashes, and you can load the machine down with apps, and it just slows down a bit and keeps chugging along.

The one thing Ive found that linux doesnt really have an equal is video, nothing else even comes close, for playback, editing, encoding, decoding, whatever, it may not be all point and click, but I havent found anything even close to what I can do with it versus others, and the software is FREE.

Dude, if you like the apps you run on Windows, and you've spent the time to get it settled for you, why worry about switching?

Maybe he wants to expand his horizons a little, why do you come here all the time, curiosity finally getting to you there Shoobierat?

horndude said:
Maybe he wants to expand his horizons a little
I'm not bashing on that. My point is that if he's happy with what he's got (ie - it does all he wants it to do) then why go through all the mess of changing to something else? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
horndude said:
why do you come here all the time, curiosity finally getting to you there Shoobierat?
No thanks. I had my fill of Linux and Unix in college. Plus I hardly have any need to even think of it in the corporate business world, since most everyone uses Microsoft.

Excellent, Counter Strike for Linux. That is one of the main reasons that Windows was holding me back. Also, UT2k4 is on Linux i worked out. Im planning to start with Ubuntu Linux and a dual boot. Is there any way i can play music and DIVX movies?

you can do whatever you want with movies, best media player in the world is linux based,ive tried pretty much all of them, nothing even comes close to mplayer for linux,video is one of the main reasons I switched to linux

music is no problem at all, there's about 10-15 different mp3/music players, linux handles alot of formats windows doesnt do natively like ogg for example

counterstrike is difficult to run, but im pretty sure it can be done,google for linux counterstrike, there isnt a native linux version, but there are workarounds for it I do believe

better get ready to start doing some reading and learning, linux isnt windows, I repeat, linux isnt windows, not even close, whole different deal, what your used to with windows wont work, ubuntu has quite a bit of the setup and configuration available thru GUI's but you need to do some reading so you can understand what your doing and getting into here

http://www.tldp.org
http://www.lowfatlinux.com

oh, ive installed linux a few times before, the ubuntu setup finished without a hitch, i know that with linux installing programs is a little but harder than windows but im sure i will learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom