Boot drive issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
consider reinstalling all together. Remove the IDE drive, and install from the CD to the SATA without anything else attached. You will loose your settings, but it's the easiest way to do it.
The MBR thing isn't always a garantee.
You need to boot to the recovery console from the XP cd. Then you type fixmbr at the promt. It sometimes works and sometimes not.

Good luck

well.. I've got it working just fine. I guess the problem wasn't the MBR after all. I initially didn't think it should be the problem, since windows would get all the way to the desktop and just not load explorer. If the MBR was on the other drive, wouldn't it just not even boot windows?

I think what was causing the problem was that when i took the IDE drive out i changed my IDE cable arrangement at the same time, and probably had a jumper wrong. even though I didn't change the sata cable or settings, I guess that my other IDE drive (not the one i was talking about before, but a completely diff IDE hdd) or one of the cd drives was causing the whole thing to go retarted. sound possible?
i put the cables back to original when i put the windows ide drive back in

im gonna format the IDE drive (the windows boot drive) tomorrow, so any other suggestions would be appreciated before I lose that boot drive for all time.

Nevermore said:
well.. I've got it working just fine. I guess the problem wasn't the MBR after all. I initially didn't think it should be the problem, since windows would get all the way to the desktop and just not load explorer. If the MBR was on the other drive, wouldn't it just not even boot windows?

I think what was causing the problem was that when i took the IDE drive out i changed my IDE cable arrangement at the same time, and probably had a jumper wrong. even though I didn't change the sata cable or settings, I guess that my other IDE drive (not the one i was talking about before, but a completely diff IDE hdd) or one of the cd drives was causing the whole thing to go retarted. sound possible?
i put the cables back to original when i put the windows ide drive back in

im gonna format the IDE drive (the windows boot drive) tomorrow, so any other suggestions would be appreciated before I lose that boot drive for all time.

Give me your email. I have a fix mbr tool from drive image 7. if was just a little too big too upload here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom