Bluetooth extends Wireless Computing

Status
Not open for further replies.

malin

Beta member
I've been using Wi-fi now for a couple of years as it has become increasingly available on my campus, and I love it. Still, it seems a topic that is not frequently addressed is the use of Bluetooth for wireless computing. I have an apple laptop and a sony phone which both carry Bluetooth, and I can use them to access the internet alomst anywhere. I went camping recently and was able to check my mail and the news from the campsite.

You were able to check your mail and news from your phone, but not because of the Bluetooth capabilities unless there was a Bluetooth access point at the campsite.

Bluetooth is mainly used for file transfer and temporary connections to other communication devices.

Actually...

You can pair a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone with a Bluetooth enabled laptop or PDA. So you can use the cellular capabilities of the mobile phone to access your email account and Bluetooth makes sure you can get your email and can browse the web on your laptop. So basically, it's a mobile hot-spot anywhere you can get a mobile phone signal.

Don't know about you, but I prefer to write my emails on a laptop rather than having to punch it in on my itsy-bitsy phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom