Black screen during nvidia driver install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmote

Seg Fault'n,
I'm sure this must be somewhere already but searches for things like "win7 black screen nvidia driver" bring up pretty much everything lol.

Anyway, I'm still running the win7 RC and it works pretty well except
1) most of my games have "funny" graphical issues (fortunately CS works fine as does guild wars)
2) I can't run the F@H GPU client because nvcuda.dll (a file I am all too familiar with) is missing

To sort out these issues I try to install a newer graphics driver but during the install the screen will go blank with an underscore flashing in the top left. It won't accept any keyboard or mouse input which leaves me with only one option - a hard reboot.
If I try to get back into windows normally when the machine comes back up the screen will get stuck at a completely black screen just after the "Starting Windows" splash.
I can successfully restore it to how it was before using the startup repair but that sadly doesn't sort my original problem...

The card is an 8800GT. The OS is windows 7 RC build 7100 x64. The driver 195.something for 64 bit win7.

Thanks

If I remember right, in Win7 RC it took forever for the drivers to install. How long have you waited for the black screen to revert?

Try disabling Windows Driver Foundation. (I believe this one is the one that automatically installs drivers?) Uninstall the default graphics driver, and reboot. Then reinstall the 195.xx drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom