Bike advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Well I didn't want to hijack the other bicycle thread, so starting this one :)..

I need to buy a new bike. But, I don't particularly want to spend a fortune. What are some good brands for bikes? Both for recreational biking and travalling locally.

And what are some good bike locks?..

I have typically bought bikes that are like $100. And you get what you pay for. After a few months the gear system starts making funny noises, and the brakes kindda wear off, etc. And absolutely no suspension. :confused:

guess I should be paying attention to this thread myself. Once I get up to seattle I'll probably need a bike myself. Won't have a car which they actually recommend due to the amount of cars already there and parking is basically non-existant.

Man I haven't "biked" regular for a while now. But, I want to get back to it. I've always done my cardio in the gym, but that's starting to get somewhat boring :confused:. So I figured, it's time to do some actual biking. :D

Ya when you go to university, a bike should be more than enough. When I was doing my undergrad that's all I had at first :D.. I did get a old second hand car from my dad when I was in my 3rd year. But I hardly used it. Only got in it when I had to go out or whatever.

are you looking for Touring or Mountain? Mountain would be best around town. I would go with Trek, or Cannondale and Specialized if you want a TOP of the line one.

Schwinn is also a good brand. Locks? I'd just go to Wal-mart and get one. :D

I'm an avid mountain biker and I go to pawn shops, buy bikes for like $30 a piece, ride the crap out of them, till they're falling apart, then get a new one! :D I save lots of money :D

The Maverick Iron Horse was considered the best bike for around 350$ CDN last time I was bike shopping. I ended up getting one, and it's great besides I had to replace a bearing (Sealed bearing doesnt mean that it's waterproof).

Now they have changed their line a bit, and I would chech out the Iron Horse Maverick Comp & Team

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=30

EDIT: These are a trail riding mountain bike, you may be better off with hybrid's for the city (But they can be more expensive) and if you are doing downhill you want a full suspension bike.

umm... canondale is probably a bit expensive for your purposes. i would go for a specialized. they have some nice cheap bikes that are good, as well as their top end bikes. have a look at the demo 9 for a bike. drools. 9" rear suspension travel...

joshd said:
umm... canondale is probably a bit expensive for your purposes. i would go for a specialized. they have some nice cheap bikes that are good, as well as their top end bikes. have a look at the demo 9 for a bike. drools. 9" rear suspension travel...

You defiantly don't want a rear suspension bike for everyday purposes.

Full suspension bikes waste all your energy so you get tired.

chevytrucknut said:
are you looking for Touring or Mountain? Mountain would be best around town.

A mountain bike is what I want. :).. A all-purpose bike where I can go both off-road and biking in town.

As for the suspension, I am not too sure about that guys. Any reason why rear-suspension is bad for everyday biking?

So you guys think the "best" but cheap bike brand is Specialized?

it's what my brother used when he was at Texas Tech University. He rode that crap everywhere. I figure it'll also benefit for the exercise reasons since I could stand to lose a pound or 70 :p

Nubius said:
it's what my brother used when he was at Texas Tech University. He rode that crap everywhere. I figure it'll also benefit for the exercise reasons since I could stand to lose a pound or 70 :p

Biking (In decent weather) is also much more enjoyable than a car. And around the city, it can even be faster :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom