Bf2 Doesnt Support Widescreen!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The General said:
Did you put /vid_restart in your config or something?

No, typed in manually. I guess my graphics card doesn't support that resolution.

Can you post a screenshot of your wide-screen config?

I don't get how it works, if you want wide-screen without stretching, the FOV somehow has to be overrided by the wide-screen resolution, otherwise it would be streched, wouldn't it?

Unless portions of the vertical visible area are cut off, like in the screenshot I posted, but it is still stretched. Weird.

What version of ET are you running? Something is royally screwed up with your ET. For you, the 2D is stretched but the 3D isn't. And look at the compass, the tick marks and letters are a perfect circle but the rest is stretched. I don't have this problem, with mine nothing is stretched.

What kind of video card do you have, and what OS are you using?

P.S. I'll post a screenshot when I go home for lunch.

The General said:
What version of ET are you running? Something is royally screwed up with your ET. For you, the 2D is stretched but the 3D isn't. And look at the compass, the tick marks and letters are a perfect circle but the rest is stretched. I don't have this problem, with mine nothing is stretched.

What kind of video card do you have, and what OS are you using?

P.S. I'll post a screenshot when I go home for lunch.

2.60b, XP Pro. Leadtek Ti4200 64MB.

^ Go into the nVidia settings, and add 1680x1050 as a custom resolution. Then it should work for you.

P.S. The stretching has nothing to do with the fov, the fov is the angle of your field of view. How much you can see. Stretching is caused by aspect ratio.

cg_fov 90
fov90.jpg

cg_fov 100
fov100.jpg

cg_fov 110
fov110.jpg

The General said:
^ Go into the nVidia settings, and add 1680x1050 as a custom resolution. Then it should work for you.

P.S. The stretching has nothing to do with the fov, the fov is the angle of your field of view. How much you can see. Stretching is caused by aspect ratio.

cg_fov 90
fov90.jpg

cg_fov 100
fov100.jpg

cg_fov 110
fov110.jpg

Yes, field of view; you are right, it is not technically the same as wide-screen, but wide screen should also result in a wider viewing angle, like FOV.

For wide-screen, you either have to add picture to both sides of the screen (wider viewing angle), or cut away portions of the top and/or bottom of the screen. Or you could stretch it. Which is what happens to me.

The customaspect value 2 didn't do anything in ET, btw.

1680 x 1050 has an aspect ratio that is different than 856 x 480. What aspect ratio do wide-screen monitors have? 16:9? Because the aspect ratio of 856 x 480 is 16:9, but 1680 x 1050 is not, so it would look odd on a wide screen monitor, unless you add borders.

I will try adding that resolution to my Nvidia config.

The General said:

Now that I think about it, my monitor only goes up to 1600 horizontally, so that resolution is not an option.
I'll try 1280 x 800 which has the same aspect ratio as 1680 x 1050.

Are you sure r_mode -1 is correct? That is what's giving me the error. And as you can tell from this screenshot, it looks like ET is trying to start in a 800 x 1280 resolution instead of the other way around.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/3936/openglfk3.png

EDIT:

Found this. So FOV is indeed related to wide-screen, as wide-screen is not supported by ET, you will always have issues. All of the screenshots on this page are messed up:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7218&highlight=enemy+territory

Field of view is like a cone, it also effects the up and down part, widescreen just widens your view port. Widescreen does work with ET, but the HUD doesn't, and thats why I think they "don't support it" ... but yeah, most widescreen monitors are 16:10, most HDTV's are 16:9.

I have no idea what is wrong with your ET, I have never gotten that problem. I took two screenshots, one of standard ET played in 16:10 with 1680x1050 pixels, and apparently I've just gotten used to the stretched out HUD. That or I never even look at it but to chat. And I also took one set as how I play.

Standard 1680x1050:

How I play at 1680x1050 with /cg_fov 120:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom