Better way to manage programs in Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblockmajors

Beta member
Okay, so I hate the process of setting up software. You download a piece of software. You install it. A shortcut either gets put on the desktop or in the start menu or nowhere at all. I want to better manage my shortcuts. I want a shortcut for every piece of software I install on my computer in one place. Anyway I can make sure that happens or am I going to have to do that manually? And is there anyway I can easily call that piece of software up on command without having to sift through a pile of shortcuts?

or when you click the start button in vista, in the little run box just type the name of the program you want to start and it'll sift for you

Other than what is stated above, no. There is no program out there that will not cause you to sift thru a massive amounts of shortcuts, or anything else.

The best way to manage it is to come up with a system that is right for you.

Personally i use the Quick Start Bar and place browsers, Email apps and IM Apps in there. Then i create 3 folders. System Apps, Games, Office Apps.

From there i sort my shortcuts into those 3 folders and i execute which ever folder i need to get that select list of short cuts. From there i name them what i want so that i just have to type a letter to correspond with the name of the app to get that icon active and click enter.

So at most i have 2 mouse clicks, 2 keystrokes to get anything active. for me it isnt much and very effective.

or when you click the start button in vista, in the little run box just type the name of the program you want to start and it'll sift for you

This is what I do. I hardly ever look for the shortcut anymore, unless its in my quick launch or on my desktop. So much easier to not have to take my hands off of the keyboard.

The quick launch toolbar is my friend. I use it constantly. I normally make my start bar one place bigger to fit more icons in without it hindering my windows.

There are lots of good methods, but basically, you're going to have to do it manually.

But one thing that can help is that a lot of installers let you choose where to put the shortcut in your start menu. They will give you their default Start Menu location, but let you choose a different place. The thing is, when we install things we sometimes get in a hurry and just keep clicking 'Next' without even looking at what our choices are.

Do It Manually.

I am a minimalist, I don't care for a cluttered desktop. I use five folders directly on my desktop; Audio, DVD Video, Games, Graphics, and Programs. My start menu "ALL Programs" is virtually emptied out on a regular basis. Inside each folder is subfolders. Such as under Games is; Adventure, Arcade, Cards, Crime, DOS, Inet, Puzzles, RPG, Simulations, Sports and War. So my desktop has 5 folders and a recycling bin.

Now every so often I sift through my drive and do house keeping. But my best advice is to move the shortcuts right after install to your desktop folders. There isn't much out there to assist you in house keeping on a PC. I have seen my fair share of programs that claim to do program maintenance but in fact have no clue where to place shortcuts. In fact, some are so destructive to the point they will butcher your system. Other people I know have switched their explorer shell to something else that appeals to them and it would just stress me out to have to program my desktop. A good friend at work has a solid black desktop no shell, no wallpaper. He uses the task manager to run programs, which he closes down after the program executes.

I split my shortcuts between the start menu and quick launch.. and keep the desktop clean.. theres always rocket dock too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom