best build for capturing video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGUANA_AL

Beta member
I want to build a computer and use it for capturing video from my sony Digital HI8 camcorder and also burn dvd's. My question is:

Do they make cpu's, motherboard's, and harddrive's specificly for
capturing video and which are the best & not too expensive? Also does the capture card & software matter?

I will be installing 2 dvd burners. I want to make sure I do not lose any frames like I do with my P3 now. If this question has been posted, sorry, and please link me to that post. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Well, there's no specific models (to my knowledge) that would be budget effective. If you're saying what I think you are, then I would make sure you get a motherboard with Firewire. This is the best way to move video from your videocamera to your computer. Apart from moving it via-DVD of course...)

People wanting to capture video and whatnot sometimes want to do more than one thing at once, so this seems to be a very good application of the dual core processors. I'd look into an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ for a money saver, but a 4400+ if you're not too worried about cash. The 4800+ seems like a little bit of a waste of cash to me. ANYWAY...

Hard drives, hmm? I'd just go for size. Try to stick with Western Digital and Seagate for hard drive brands, but get a big drive if you plan on storing any number of videos.

Ryan

So the 3800 & 4400 have built in fire wire, right?

Also does the software matter or all they all the same?

The person that wants this built prefers intel, what is the equivalent?

What if I do not want a dual core, what is the best (for capturing video) single with firewire?

Thanks. Out.

For the application you're doing I would go for the Pentium Dual Core series instead, while the AMD Dual cores kick intels ass in gaming, Pentium leads in decoding, etc. But yes, dual core is the only way to go, you could burn 2 separate DVDs at the same time and have each core do it separately, that'll be awesome.

The processors do not have firewire. Firewire is a feature you'll need to look for in a motherboard, and in a case if you want access to it on the front panel. Choose your processor, and THEN choose your motherboard. I would again recommend AMD to them, but if Intel's their choice, so be it. You might need someone more versed in Intel processors though. Remember, AMD is cheaper...

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom