Battlefield 3 Will Not Come to Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
Battlefield 3 Out of Steam

EA's hotly-anticipated Battlefield 3 may not come to Steam when it's released later in the year, US retail giant GameStop has suggested.

Financial research firm Baird stated as much following a meeting with GameStop's management team, saying that the "upcoming EA title Battlefield 3 will be sold as a download through GameStop, but not through Steam."

It was confirmed to Develop that this news comes directly from company executives. The DICE shooter will come to other digital download services, however.

The Baird report continues: "Given Steam's dominance – and insistence on users downloading a Steam client application – publishers are likely to be receptive to a competitive alternative,"

EA recently launched Origin, a digital download service set to rival Valve's. And last month saw the EA-published Crysis 2 removed from Steam after a DLC exclusivity deal was signed with another service. EA claimed no responsibility for the removal or the deal.

It may well be missing out on Steam, but we're still looking forward to Battlefield 3's launch on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC on October 25 in the US, and three days later in Europe.

Source - Battlefield 3 Out of Steam - PC News at IGN

Doesn't bother me one bit since I hate Steam with a passion.

Steam is great! Whats with the hate ?

Such a shame. It would of had massive sales on the PC platform if it was on Steam. No-one is going to buy it on that Origin trash. This is a ******** corporate move made by some clueless bigwig, on the one hand they want BF3 to have massive sales, and on the other they remove it from the most successful PC digital distribution system. Great move, EA. Activision are laughing at you.

I'm buying a hard copy just because i have to have it before it comes out. ShopTo.net will do that, steam won't.

There is a lot of EA - Valve hate going on right now. Which makes me believe Valve may be going somewhere else for publishing.

Steam is great! Whats with the hate ?

Such a shame. It would of had massive sales on the PC platform if it was on Steam. No-one is going to buy it on that Origin trash. This is a ******** corporate move made by some clueless bigwig, on the one hand they want BF3 to have massive sales, and on the other they remove it from the most successful PC digital distribution system. Great move, EA. Activision are laughing at you.

I'm buying a hard copy just because i have to have it before it comes out. ShopTo.net will do that, steam won't.
Steam is horrible. I think what bugs me the most is constant updating and needing to have the program in the background to run games.

Steam is horrible. I think what bugs me the most is constant updating and needing to have the program in the background to run games.

It's not really constant.. once every couple of weeks. Only takes a couple of seconds on my lousy connection. Steam running is the background is a non-issue, being able to talk to friends during games is useful.

No one here was more outspoken against Steam when it was released than myself. Through the years they have fine-tuned it and added more backend support and today it is a stellar platform for distribution of games. I won't buy a digital game unless it's through Steam. Plus, as kman mentioned, the in-game community/browser feature and achievements are awesome. Auto-patching is also very, very handy. But hands down the best feature is the incredible sales they have! If BF3 is indeed going to miss the Steam bandwagon I will be furious!

The only thing I don't like about steam is the fact that I have to run it. Otherwise I wouldn't care.

It's not really constant.. once every couple of weeks. Only takes a couple of seconds on my lousy connection. Steam running is the background is a non-issue, being able to talk to friends during games is useful.
Once every couple of weeks and if you didn't save your credentials and want to play without an internet connection you're screwed. Steam running in the background is an issue for me (because it's usually downloading), and I use Xfire to talk to friends during the game. Not being able to play my games before the downloads are complete annoys me and I don't have a choice in the matter. I'd rather NOT have Steam and patch when I feel like it and play without or without an internet connection while not running a separate program in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom