ATI Graphics Card Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rook1e

In Runtime
My friend gave me his old ATI 9800 pro card...and the fan on the card is a bit loud. Its a humming sound. Is this normal?? My old card did not have a fan on it so im not to sure whats normal. And if it is a bad fan how soon should i replace it?

Thanks for your time!

Your ATI control center should show you the card's temps, post those and if they're too hot then get a new fan.

The 9800 series had 2 kinds, one with the r350 chipset and one with the r360 chipset. The ones with the r350 didnt have any temperature monitoring. Here's a way to tell if its getting too hot, play a game or 3dmark, if there's artifacts then its too hot. If not then dont worry about it and dont bother taking the fan off, it just increases the chance you'll wreck it (I did it succesfully on my old one to put AS5 on it).

I really didnt find my 9800 that noisy, but maybe if you are coming from a non fanned card you notice the difference, I can guarantee you my computer is louder. Just make sure that theres no wires in the fan, that can be annoying as it will make a lot of ticking noises.

I had your same problem i went from my FX 5200 with no fan too a Geforce 6800 and i noticed a big increase in noise, but you get used to it, now i barely notice it.

Hey guys thanks for you help! I did not find any temp monitoring and the game play looks great. So i think the fan will be ok...i guess i will have to get used to it. Thanks for your time!

Where in the ATI Catalyst contol center do you find the temperature of your card!? I CANNOT find it anywhere!

Maybe you can't do it on your card then. My nVidia display center gives me a Temperature Settings tab and shows me my current temp with some misc. settings and options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom