AOL instant messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

skomer84

Solid State Member
We just recently got DSL service in my home. We run 3 computers with it. The main one and then 2 others off of a router. The main computer runs AOL instant messenger fine, but the other 2 will either sign on aol for about 10 minutes and freeze, or not sign on at all. However, the internet and everything else works fine on these 2 computers. Both AOL and my DSL service said it was probably a problem with the firewall settings but could not provide any additional information. Any ideas of what settings I need to change to get instant messenger to work? Thanks.

If you have got a new DSL at home, i'd check if there is an extrernal firewall in the SDSL/ADSL box. If there isn't, or it shouldn't be a problem, check the open ports in your DSL settings "in the box". Usually via TELNET communication. Or if CISCO it is a HTML based configuration.

No we've tried different logins at different times. Keep getting told from AOL that it is most likely a firewall issue but I know nothing about firewalls and do not know what to change the port #/firewall settings to which they told me needed to be done. Was hoping someone had this type of problem before and could help. Thanks.

What operating system are you using for your other 2 PCs? I don't think that it is your firewall within your router. I have one laptop that is in it's own collision domain behind 2 routers w/ 2 embedded firewalls and I don't have any problems with AIM or Trillian. That's another thing you can try. Download and install trillian and see if you have any similar problems. You can log onto you AIM, Yahoo!, ICQ, MSN all at the same time. And there is a free version!

-Mike

The main computer we use that is hooked to the router is on Windows 98. The 2 that we are having problems with are on XP.

Try disabling the firewall on the two XP machines. Goto the Control Panel and switch to the Classic View if you don't have it this way already. Double-Click on the Network Connections icon and then right click on the LAN connection for your network card and goto properties. Goto the advanced tab and then uncheck the option bit for the Internet Connection Firewall. After this, try the AIM connection again.

-Mike

Disabled all the firewalls and still no luck. Will sign on for about 3-4 minutes and then the instant messenger program will freeze up.

I downloaded Trillian, and it worked for about 10 minutes and then freezes up just like aol instant messenger did before. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom