AMD Ryzen

Certainly not a flop, this is the whole Athlon 64 vs P4 era again, I don't see Intel rebounding so easily.

Here's how I see it, Intel has been building upon the same architecture for ages, constantly refining it. I feel they may have hit a small roadblock around Gen3/4 in terms of leaps and bounds. Can they really keep refining it to push AMD back down? I don't think so, since this is a new architecture entirely for AMD, they may have some serious room for future development to keep Intel in check for at least 2-3 years.

I am still waiting to find out whether AM4 will support ECC, it's the only thing holding me back from a purchase right now, as I would love to dump my 8350 for something much more efficient on the cheap.

EDIT: Doing some research, looks like Ryzen CPUs will support ECC if the motherboard does :D

Last edited:
Yeah ended up deciding to go for it last night, which is weird considering the last AMD chip I owned was probably an athlon era one, and the last ATI card I bought was at least 9 years ago too :p

Well, considering it was the Athlon Era that AMD was doing really good... I could see why it was the last one you went for. I am going to wait a little while, let prices stabilize and more motherboards to pop up on the Egg... MY needs are very specific as is my budget.

Yeup, and I am disliking the reviews, "lets overclock and run benchmarks, then declare AMD as the loser!"

What I want to see are clock for clock tests, a 3.6Ghz AMD vs 3.6Ghz Intel using the same RAM speeds... Not a 3.8Ghz AMD vs a 4.3Ghz Intel with higher memory speeds. Starting to smell something kinda fishy with some these "reviewers". Declaring a $1000 CPU as the winner for gamers over a $500 CPU because it wins when it has a higher overclocked core clock?

Seriously, it reminds me of the days when Intel was paying people off (and OEMS!) to say what Intel wanted people to hear.

Intel sent out emails, TPU was one of the sites that obviously took their bait. TPU users are pissed, their FB blew the **** up.

https://www.techpowerup.com/231172/...ket-or-the-stumbling-hype-train?cp=2#comments

Nah, Ryzen is right where it should be. Same IPC as Haswell/Broadwell, and performance of a 6900k for half the cost. Synthetics show a difference between the 7700k and 1800x but in real world the difference won't be noticed in FPS.

Back
Top Bottom