AMD Phenom II X4 Sets 3DMark06 World Record

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no fanboy either, I just like bang/buck and right now that's Wolfdale. i7 isn't even on my list as it's just too expensive.

True, I should have said it was more of a win for their gpu's instead of processors.

Actually the GPUs have a very meager overclock...it's the CPU clockspeed that is netting the high score. Just look at my wolfdale crossfire runs....CPU frequency makes your SM2 and SM3 scores shoot waaay up.

I'm not a fanboy, I will buy whatever is the best at the time of purchase. Right now that is i7 because I would never use extreme cooling.

Also this is more of a victory for ati than amd, the previous record was held by a 5.2ghz i7 with a cpu score of 9,036 which is better than the 6.6ghz phenom 2's 8,532.

Not saying you are, I just don't get why people need to shoot it down. It's not an easy feat and they did it so instead of people saying "what about real world performance?" just give props.

if i had the cash, i would build an i7 rig

too bad i dont have the cash lol.

but on a second note, if there was a good nvidia chipset for them to use the phenoms on, i think they could do better with 2x 295's

so currently 2 4870x2's are beating out 2x 295's, thats impressive itself.

Actually the GPUs have a very meager overclock...it's the CPU clockspeed that is netting the high score. Just look at my wolfdale crossfire runs....CPU frequency makes your SM2 and SM3 scores shoot waaay up.

Good point, I hadn't thought abut that.

I wasn't trying to shoot it down so I apologize if it came across that way. I just don't like it when people dismiss a benchmark until they see the results they want.

if i had the cash, i would build an i7 rig

too bad i dont have the cash lol.

but on a second note, if there was a good nvidia chipset for them to use the phenoms on, i think they could do better with 2x 295's

so currently 2 4870x2's are beating out 2x 295's, thats impressive itself.

w/out a doubt I would build an i7. It's just good to see some competition and for consumers an actual option to go another route if need be.

Running an AMD right next to this core i7 .. I like em both, but just as i would give an AMD cpu prop's I give Core i7 prop's I said was a awesome feat that AMD won.
I was just saying that every single benchmark and article you read clearly shows
core i7 out in front.. sometimes not by much sometimes by a long shot.
If AMD does the same thing my next build may very well be AMD.
I just think the core i7 clearly outperformes the Phenom quad at this point in time under
normal circumstances.
Alot of the prop's goes to the guy that built that rig and ran it just right also.

Well its nice to see an AMD with AMD Dragon platforms instead of nVidia Intel platforms winning all the time..

Props to the OC'ers and nice job to them

For argument sake the PII is not supposed to compete w/ i7. I think PII is a great buy. It's just another reason to make the purchase. W/ that said I would buy i7 just for all around performance but it's nice to see AMD get atleast one bench under their belt. It did score higher because of the sm2/3 and higher bus speed.

edit
new score

was just saying that every single benchmark and article you read clearly shows
core i7 out in front.

thats not exactly true.

there are some benchmarks that heavily favor amd's chips the same way super pi favors intels.

you can however say, "most" benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom