AMD K10 Architecture - technical explanation by InsideHW

Status
Not open for further replies.
True... but if you already have an AM2 Board + CPU, and looking for a quick upgrade, the Phenom is your only path to upgrade (unless you want to buy a whole new board + CPU)

I agree. the Phenom is the obvious choice for people who already have a compatible motherboard.

Locking Nehalem from overclocking would be a stupid move on Intel's part. One of the reasons Core 2 has been such a success is their impressive overclocking ability.
And Intel hasn't made as much money because people are buying lower end chips and overclocking them, rather than buying the higher end chips.

As far as the Phenom 9850 vs q6600, even if the Phenom has better stock performance you have to take into account the Q6600 is a great overclocker and can easily reach 3.6 ghz with air cooling.
the Phenom 9850 BE's can get 3.4GHZ, and will pwn any game out at that speed.

Why do they even bother offering pre-overclocked versions? Seriously?
*edit* Just read the article and answered my question :D (they do it cause not all the processors yield the same potential.)

Locking Nehalem from overclocking would be a stupid move on Intel's part. One of the reasons Core 2 has been such a success is their impressive overclocking ability.

i think thats the whole reason as to why they are going to lock nehalem. From what i've heard/read about this, you can buy a 80 dollar chip, and get 100% + OC out of it, and have it running at a much higher speed. So basically, Intel screwed themselves over because they aren't selling as many high end chips to the 'enthusiast crowd' because there's no need to spend 250 on a chip when you can spend like 120 and then oc the **** out of it and have it run at the same speeds (like benchmark speeds, not clock speeds) as the more expensive one.

And that does spell disaster for Intel's place in holding the enthusiast crowd, because if you look at the 'oc chips' ie the Extreme Editions, those are usually around twice as much as their locked multi counterparts. So intel is forcing people who want to OC to buy horrendously overpriced chips, which will drive the enthusiast crowd back to AMD, provided AMD can come out with something that the enthusiast crowd will like.

i think thats the whole reason as to why they are going to lock nehalem. From what i've heard/read about this, you can buy a 80 dollar chip, and get 100% + OC out of it, and have it running at a much higher speed. So basically, Intel screwed themselves over because they aren't selling as many high end chips to the 'enthusiast crowd' because there's no need to spend 250 on a chip when you can spend like 120 and then oc the **** out of it and have it run at the same speeds (like benchmark speeds, not clock speeds) as the more expensive one.

And that does spell disaster for Intel's place in holding the enthusiast crowd, because if you look at the 'oc chips' ie the Extreme Editions, those are usually around twice as much as their locked multi counterparts. So intel is forcing people who want to OC to buy horrendously overpriced chips, which will drive the enthusiast crowd back to AMD, provided AMD can come out with something that the enthusiast crowd will like.

Amd is pretty much already doing this with the black edition chips.

Amd is pretty much already doing this with the black edition chips.
You've always bee able to raise the HTT speed on any AMD K8/K10 chip to overclock it

one of the reasons Black Edition chips exist for K10 (which mind you, make up a large percentage of the Phenom line-up, and doesn't actually cost a premium), is because HTT overclocking of Phenom CPU's hasn't been working as well as with K8 processors

with unlocked multipliers, it allows the Phenom's to overclock significantly better. so in other words, AMD have black edition processors because they want people to be able to overclock their CPU's more.

Also, AMD didn't intentionally make Phenom's not overclock as well using the HTT bus speed

You've always bee able to raise the HTT speed on any AMD K8/K10 chip to overclock it

one of the reasons Black Edition chips exist for K10 (which mind you, make up a large percentage of the Phenom line-up, and doesn't actually cost a premium), is because HTT overclocking of Phenom CPU's hasn't been working as well as with K8 processors

with unlocked multipliers, it allows the Phenom's to overclock significantly better. so in other words, AMD have black edition processors because they want people to be able to overclock their CPU's more.

Also, AMD didn't intentionally make Phenom's not overclock as well using the HTT bus speed

how much voltage should be put in HTT? Mine is on 'Auto' right now because i dont want mess with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom