Amazing Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
To anyone who wants an ADSL2+/ADSL wired modem, please, for the love of god: The Belkin High Speed ADSL2+ P5D5630au4.

I have been using a budget modem that my ISP provided (TPG) for over a year now, and i was getting around 5mbps. My ISP couldnt figure out why either...

Today i got my first paycheck of my entire life. So i decided why not replace that little box, i dont really like the amount of heat its producing so for safety ill buy this $70AUD Belkin modem....

It was very difficult to set up because wouldnt you know it, this specific model that i chose to buy has a problem with TPG, that was until i downloaded the specially made firmware Belkin created just for TPG users. (Thanks to the customer service indian lady for ACTUALLY helping me.)

Once set up and installed: WOW.

I just went from 5mbps to 11mbps. Simply Incredible.

Not to mention Belkin has a LIFETIME warranty on this modem and it has 4 ethernet ports. Once again: Incredible.

That's awesome. I'm with iiNet at the moment and I get 7mbps and expected about 10. I'm using a D-link 502-t which everyone says is rubbish so I was thinking of getting a Billion 7401 or any 74xx model as they have great reviews for speed and stability but I'll look into the Belkin you mentioned.

By the way, how do you find TPG? I was thinking of joining them soon since my contract is nearly up and for the same price they offer WAY more downloads. The only thing turning me off is their customer service if I have problems and can't understand the Indians.

Hello,

What Internet speed do you currently pay for? Has your ISP ever increased the speed of your package for free in the past?

One explanation as to why your TPG modem would only achieve download speeds of around 5 Mbps is because it may of not been able to support speeds that are any faster. Modems have maximum supported data rates. This is especially problematic when ISPs bump the speeds of their packages free of charge, but don't inform existing users that they need to upgrade their modems in order to benefit from the speed increase.

For example, my original broadband package was 5 Mbps, but soon my ISP increased the speeds of all their packages free of charge, increasing the 5 Mbps package to 10 Mbps. However, they didn't inform me that my modem was unable to support speeds greater than 5 Mbps, thus I was effectively getting slower Internet speeds than what I was actually paying for. It was only after finding a well hidden support page on the ISP website did I realise that I needed them to send me a new modem.

@ Alvin: Nope always been ADSL2+ 20mbps from the very start.
@ enigm@tic: While there customer support sounds 'ethnic' they actually kinda know what they are talking about.

And you cant beat 150GB for $69.

Oh ho ho. The irony.
I think im gonna have to take this thing back.

This thing is odd. It gives me 10/11mbps on speedtest.net and ive confirmed by actually downloading things and that checks out, but this thing is not loading things up correctly!!
Sometimes it just doesnt load some images on websites and has massive issues with this sometimes, and yet, i check, my actual download speed is still 11mbps.

Its like it cant cope with viewing a 10kb website with like 256kb worth of images, but it can download torrents and files at over 1mb a second.

I need help. Is there anything you pro's might be able to think of?

Oh... and did i mention the irony?

If you can't get the problem sorted and end up going with another modem, get a Billion 7401 or 7404 they have loads of great reviews on Whirlpool.

Okay i just bought a new one with Wireless G for $99 AUD.
Its a Netgear DG834G-V4, very good. Just as good speeds. And the Belkin one was still really good, its just that the modem had an issue with TPG in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom