Added Router-then Desktop PC fails to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlewp

Baseband Member
Since adding a D-Link router for wifes laptop , my desktop repeatedly loses ability to surf and get email. It is hard-wired to the router. Taskbar icon shows connection , and any network details show the same...but sometime after each reboot/restart , IE7 will begin failing to connect, and email - Yahoo or Comcast.net - will fail to get or send mail.
Usually I can choose "repair" in network options, and it will again work. Worse case is having to open Comcasts Desktop Doctor (long wait), and use their tools to restore IE's and Outlooks settings. This same utility shows connectivity working, also.......even tho' browsing and email fails.
Something causing browser and email settings to change?
BTW , laptop using Wi-Fi never fails in surfing or email use.

Make sure you have IE's settings to always dial the default connection. It sounds like IE is trying to connect to the wrong internet profile after you restart.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

If that doesn't fix it, just release and renew your ip and you should be fine.
(in the command line prompt)

ipconfig /release (press enter)
ipconfig /renew (enter again)

Thanks to both of you. I'll try both if needed.
As for the "Always Dial........" setting. Why??, if you're using hi-speed cable, always connected ?
Then the command line. A r-click on taskbar icon , "repair" , indicates it is refreshing DNS and IP settings. Isnt that the same? It's still a nuisance, and doesnt always work.

From what I understand, it's the same. However, I like seeing the command line for these types of things... such as when you release the IP, you can actually see it zero'd itself out. Renewing displays the new ip information, etc.

Just give that a shot and see where it goes.

I always recommend, first off, that you check for and apply any firmware updates that are available from the router manufacturer (even if fresh out of the box) that you are using when this type of problem occurs.

Thanks all , I'll do the firmware update. BTW , I do not get email notifications from this thread (forum?). I've had this problem before with 1 or 2 sites. Checked and re-checked prefs. Only option to me is "Unsubscribe........". So what's the deal?
(another post/forum?)

Thanks all , I'll do the firmware update. BTW , I do not get email notifications from this thread (forum?). I've had this problem before with 1 or 2 sites. Checked and re-checked prefs. Only option to me is "Unsubscribe........". So what's the deal?
(another post/forum?)

Spam filter would be my best guess. Have you changed your email account after your activation mail was sent?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Yahoo spam filter does nothing, unless I tell it to send spam to a folder. I get emails from most forums ok. Email is correct, however !! looking at my threads , there are no check marks for notifications, even tho' I've opted for it after each post ?? Also, I can check, and recheck the threads.........come back after logging out, and they are again uchecked ???? There is no "SAVE" option that I see.

Not sure how VB works, I doubt highly that this sort of stuff is saved in a cookie, most likly in the DB.

Are your cookies functioning correctly?
If you have auto-login enabled and working then rule this out stright away but it's worth a check.

The forum is being upgraded in the very near future.
If the problem is not fixed during the upgrade create a thread in the feedback and suggestions forum.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom