Ad hoc won't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
MJ said:
Same issues, the wireless card is still trying to acquire a network address. Is this what it should be doing?
When the Wii does the network test the Laptop constantly switches between connected and not connected and eventually tries to acquire an address again when the Wii failed.
Is it possible that the network admins somehow block this? I don't think it is, but maybe?
Is it an issue that my ethernet card has the subnet 255.255.254.0
Can I try something with the IP of the DHCP server from my ethernet card?
Is the issue maybe that my wireless is constantly trying to acquire an address? Or is that normal, because that's what worries me.

If it keeps aquiring an IP address, it's still using DHCP or for some reason keep switching to DHCP. You'll have to find a way for it to maintain the manual setting you put in.

Another note, make sure the wireless card isn't connected to another ad hoc network.

It wouldn't matter what subnet your Ethernet card is on.

Just the wireless card and wii wireless card has to be on the same network.

Can I try something with the IP of the DHCP server from my ethernet card?

Exactly what are you trying to do?

To that last question, no idea, just throwing something out there and seeing what the response would be. Well I disabled the DHCP and the WiFi tells me it's not enabled so I wonder why it is acting as though it were.
Is there perhaps a windows service I could enable/disable?
BTW judging by your sig you use Linux, well I tried using Linux for this, but my wlan is recognised as ethernet by Knoppix. Are there any other Live CD Linux distributions I could try or do you by any chanc eknow how to fix that issue?

What ISP do you have service through that states specifically in their contact that you aren't allowed to use a wireless router? That is a bunch of garbage, as you hardware is not their concern.... If that truely is the case, I would tell them to send a tech free of charge to configure my network...... lol... oh well...

I saw previously, that the Wii has an USB adaptor to connect to a PC directly, but what about an ethernet cable... does the Wii have an RJ-45 port on it?

First off: the ISP has this domain .ac.uk which is usually used by Universities. I get the service for free and so I don't complain, I got a connection that's too fast for my ethernet card...
Yeah, the Wii has a USB adapter which creates something similar to ad hoc but not quite, acting more like half a router than anything else.
The Wii does not have an RJ-45 n it, you need to buy a USB to RJ-45 adapter which isn't released till January sometime... There are substitutes from other companies, but upto now only one by KinaMax (only found via NewEgg) has proven worthy, but I ordered something cheap which had the same tech specs via Amazon UK to try that out. Hope it arrives before I leave.
And I an't do it with Linux because my card does not support Master mode, so I will end up buying the stupid Nintendo USB WiFi. Damn it.

BTW why is "****" (damn) censored? I mean I can udnerstand other words but that? Hell (this one as well?) no...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom