3 on sbc dsl, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madworld

Baseband Member
I have 3 pc's. ALL of them have integrated ethernet card. I'd like to connect them and have internet on all of them.
We have 1 pc on the 2nd floor, 2nd pc on the 1st floor, and 3rd pc in the basement. I think the best solution is to keep wireless.
Cause with wires there will be to much mess.
So what do I need? a wireless router? what firm? what else? some cables? cards?

Linksys wireless g router
Linksys wireless network card
no wires
no extra cards

just install the software and go

An easier solution would be to get a wired router and 3 HomePlug powerline to Ethernet bridges. Plug your dsl modem into the WAN port on the router. Plug one HomePlug adapter into a LAN port on the router. Plug one PC's built in Ethernet card into a LAN port on the router. Then plug the other 2 HomePlug adapters into the Ethernet ports on the other two PCs. Much easier to get working than wireless for a newbie, especially for a multi-floor home.

Router - $40-50
HomePlug powerline to Ethernet bridge - $40-50 each.

so what is that "2 home plug"?
is it a wire?
do I have to have wires at home? (can't be)

This is a Netgear HomePlug powerline to Ethernet bridge:
Netgear XE102

You would need 3 off these. These use the electrical power wiring in your house to make network connections. Just plug them into any power outlets in your home and your PCs are networked.

hey hey hey, so 3x 50$ thats 150$ plus poor router is 40$, that's about 200$, but wireless router and network card is 150$(not poor ones).
So is it so hard to use wireless gear? I can't handle it or what?
And do I lose some speed by using it in power outlets?

Let's put it this way; I have set up many wireless networks and it would take me a couple hours to get your network working. You have no experience, so I expect it would take you longer, or you may never get it to work. Three floors is a difficult setup for wireless.

With the HomePlug adapters your whole setup will be 15 minutes (and ten minutes of that will be just setting up the router). To network with HomPlug you just take the adapters out of the box, plug the Ethernet cable into your PCs and router and plug into the electrical outlet. You are networked.

With wireless you have to install a bunch of software and drivers on your PC, figure out all the settings to match the wireless AP in the router, figure out where to put the router to get good wireless coverage for your whole home, move PCs around until they get a good signal from the router, etc. It's a lot of work. If you think it's worth saving $50 for all that work, go for wireless. Lot's of people have trouble and never get it to work and return the wireless equipment. Wireless LAN equipment is the most returned item at the electronics stores for that reason.

The speed of your DSL is 3Mbps maximum. HomePlug 1.0 data rate is 5 to 8 Mbps, so your DSL is still slower than your home network would be, so no you will not be slowed down by using powerline networking.

ok thanks:) that clears my view!!!
but is it the best one I can get? or is it just some casual?
watch that:
my store
I will buy a lot of stuff from that store next week so tell me which one is good for me. Or maybe everyone is just ok?
We have sbc dsl at home, poor plan which gives us 1.2Mbps but the true download speed from good servers is 160KB/s.
I DL almost 24h/day so what about my electricity bill?

They are all the same on the inside, just different brands really. The IOGear GHPB32W4 is a great deal, 2 for $56. I have use the Belkin F5D4070 before. It's a good adapter. The others should work just as good. I would recommend you get the powerline Ethernet adapters instead of powerline USB adapters. The USB ones require you to install drivers in the computers. The Ethernet ones just plug into the Ethernet port on your PCs and also work with PS2 and Xbox game systems.

Make sure you don't get the power over Ethernet adapters. These are for something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom