2 PC's + XBOX network questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

In Runtime
This is the situation:

There is one PC downstairs, which is the family PC. (PC1)
There will be one PC upstairs, which is my PC. (PC2)
There is an XBOX upstairs.

I am planning on networking the two computers along with the xbox. I am planning on purchasing a Netgear ADSL Router/modem with a wireless feature for PC1 which would connect into a telephone line downstairs.

I also plan to purchase a Netgear USB network adapter for PC2 so that I can access the Internet upstairs. Hopefully this should provide both computers with a broadband Internet connection.

My first question is, will both computers be able to access the Internet at the same time? If they can I am guessing that the Internet connection would be half of what it usually is (512k) on both PC's. Would both PC's be able to connect at 256k?

Now onto the XBOX part. The XBOX is in the same room as PC2 upstairs. How would I go about getting it on XBOX LIVE? I want it to recieve it's connection from the modem downstairs via the USB Network adapter. Where abouts on the PC would I plug the ethernet cable from my xbox? The motherboard, which will be in PC2 is the Abit IC7-G MAX2 Advance "Canterwood" (Socket 478).

Any answers to these two questions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Retro

use a router and not a switch. go from the wall/cable to the modem, then from the modem to the smart switch/router, then from there to either the wap or computer or xbox. the smartswitch/router will act as a kind of vlan (sorry, cant think right now and thats the closest I can explain it). I have 2 pc's and an xbox hooked up like that, just hardwired though.

Thanks for that, if not a little confusing. I was thinking of just connecting my Xbox to a network adapter. That would mean I would have two network adapters upstairs, one connected to the PC and one to the XBOX, each wirelessly communicating with the router situated downstairs which is connected to the modem etc.

Would this work?

Thanks,

Retro.

To connect to xbox wirelesly u need a speacial adapter, bout 170$ i thnk, maybe one for 100 thats slower. but i really dont recommend wireless, its so buggy, i hate it, i switched to wired network. And what i think he is saying is get a router with the switch integrated in it, like the dlink ones. You connect all you pcs to that, and it connects directly to the modem for the internet. or you have a wireless card in pc1, and pc2, so they take up the 2 first lines on the router, then the xbox will use the 3rd, but yes they can all be connected.

I have two PCs connected to a router (one wirelessly) with my Xbox connected to the computer that connects wirelessly. All you do is buy a System Link cable (ethernet) and connect your Xbox to your PC2 upstairs. The Xbox will be able to send/receive information via the computer's adapter that you use for its Internet. I had this setup before, but old/faulty hardware forced me to stop using it. The setup does work if you have good hardware though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom