2 PC + 1 internet questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DecentOldMan

Solid State Member
I want set-up 2 pc on different rooms to share one internet connection?

What cable should be used?

Does it require some peripherals like hub or something?

Does the 2 pc's have independent access to the internet or one has to be always on to act as a server (whatever that means ...im a noobie here u know :D )

Any help and tips will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

You don't necessarily a router, you can use a cross over cable but one computer has to work as a server so it will has to be always on.

What internet do you have?

its dsl internet and installation comes with a router or a modem (not sure which) from the phone company which is the isp provider..

wireless connection is great but i would opt for cable connectivity since its way much cheaper :)

You don't necessarily need a router, you can use a cross over cable but one computer has to work as a server so it will has to be always on.

is there a way to set it up that one computer can access internet without requiring the other pc to be on?

When they arrive: it's most likely plug and play.
[internet]-[modem]-[router]<[two computers]

can a hub replace the function of a router here? (i dont really have an idea what am i asking here so please as much as possible speak in plain english, thanks!) :D

can a hub replace the function of a router here? (i dont really have an idea what am i asking here so please as much as possible speak in plain english, thanks!) :D

OK, you can use a hub or switch, but you would have to either buy another IP address from your ISP or install a second NIC in one of the PC's and set up internet connection sharing. The simplest method is a router. Doesn't have to be wireless. You can get one at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or whatever. They are fairly simple to set up and not very expensive either.

You might want to figure out what devices you already have. You may not need anything except for a couple of cables. Can you link or type in the model number of the device that your ISP gave you when you signed up? Sometimes DSL isps send you a modem/gateway/router with a combined 3 port switch. Seattle's main DSL provider, Quest, did that all the time.

what i got here right now is an old 24 port switch hub bought from a friend who use to run a internet cafe

the dsl installation is due anytime this week and someone told me that it comes with a router

anticipation is freaking me out, i want to get the setup done fast once the dsl rolls in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom