2 lines into 1 network

Status
Not open for further replies.

super_neil

Solid State Member
Living in the UK the fastest we can get here is 8mb ADSL. Which most of the time isn't even that quick with the companies using the get out clause "up to 8mb broadband", but that is another story. I have been assured I can get 8mb BB in the area where I want to set up.

I will have 21 machines running all day, with alot of them playing PC games over the internet and some playing on our own server in the building. I am proposing having two 8mb phone lines wired into the network (10 on one, 11 on the other) to reduce any lag with playing online. How hard is it to do something like this? And how exactly would I go about it? Personaly I am going to get someone in to do this for me as it sounds complicated, but I would like to try and get my head around how this would work. So if someone could help me out with this I would be very grateful :)

Cheers

Sounds good, fly me over to UK, $2000 job.

Nah just kidding, yeah sure it's possible but there is something of an issue. You will want to hook up half of your computers to one router, and the other half to another. Each router will supply the separate Internet. In this method you can use DHCP which likely would be best.

For network to network (one subnet to another) in this setup however, likely it will go outbound to the Internet before arriving back inside the building.

Actually, I have another (better) way.

Connect each router to the same switch (make sure they are both on the same network subnet), turn off user DHCP for each router and manually configure each computer to each router in a half-half type of dealie.

By subnet I mean, 192.168.0.x for a Class C address. Both the routers must be addressed for 192.168.0.x and not 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x.

This would avoid Internet trips for inside the building. It is truly a more efficient way. There's other ways to do this too, but this is by far the easiest.

Actually, I have another (better) way.

Connect each router to the same switch (make sure they are both on the same network subnet), turn off user DHCP for each router and manually configure each computer to each router in a half-half type of dealie.

By subnet I mean, 192.168.0.x for a Class C address. Both the routers must be addressed for 192.168.0.x and not 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x.

This would avoid Internet trips for inside the building. It is truly a more efficient way. There's other ways to do this too, but this is by far the easiest.

That sounds fairly easy to do. On a scale of 1-10 how hard would this be to do for a fairly novice user at networking? I have done simple networks in homes and small offices. But I am considering just paying someone to do this as I need it done quickly.

Thanks for your comments

Pay me dude, $2000 + roundtrip ticket and it's done. I always wanted to see UK dude.

But seriously, it's easy, very easy (I vote 5). I can explain it in more detail if you so desire. Step by step even. Just leave another reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom