Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Found out my old lead in the break/fix department was being such a dip**** to me before because my current lead went over his head and had his bosses talk to my old lead's bosses to get me moved. So naturally like an immature **** he took it out on me. I'm so glad I'm in the iLab now. My life is a lot more stress free, minus things like my car breaking on me.

Aww yis. Not long now 'til I can finally upgrade from the same internet speed i've had for about 15 years.

Should be up to 40x quicker than my 2Mbit.
005dbee025b9d4e898bb282b1a6865e5.png

And then in about a years time BT will start the upgrade to FTTN G.Fast which will enable 500Mbit on lines up to 100 meters away from a street node. My line is only going to be about 30 meters from the actual cabinet as I am super lucky and having it placed literally across the road in a hedge. So i'll be even closer to the street node. So in theory G.Fast would enable me for over gigabit speeds, though BT won't enable this for quite a while. 500Mbit will do, though :p

Last edited:
And then in about a years time BT will start the upgrade to FTTN G.Fast which will enable 500Mbit on lines up to 100 meters away from a street node. My line is only going to be about 30 meters from the actual cabinet as I am super lucky and having it placed literally across the road in a hedge. So i'll be even closer to the street node. So in theory G.Fast would enable me for over gigabit speeds, though BT won't enable this for quite a while. 500Mbit will do, though :p

For where I move next, I'm taking into account both cell tower placement and proximity to an OpenReach cabinet. 150Mb on Virgin is all well and good but I'd leave them for 300Mb+ (even if only to get a matching increase in upload speed).

Last edited:

Found out my old lead in the break/fix department was being such a dip**** to me before because my current lead went over his head and had his bosses talk to my old lead's bosses to get me moved. So naturally like an immature **** he took it out on me. I'm so glad I'm in the iLab now. My life is a lot more stress free, minus things like my car breaking on me.

I could be doing with some stress free work to :annoyed:

Unlike today. 9:56am, receive a phone call from a board level director.

"Hi, i'm about to join a Citrix Webinar for the first time, i've just loaded it to test it quickly and there is no sound"

Me: "No problem. When does the actual Webinar start ?"

"10am"

Fml. :annoyed: 4 damn minutes to fix something that could be caused by ten million different things. And of course if it doesn't work at 10am it's entirely my fault. Fortunately for me the IT office is just across the hallway from said person, and the Webinar was working fine on my PC, so I just told him to watch it on my PC for now while I sit on his and try and get it working.

I'm happy with 75/75.

We get ****ty upload speeds over here, even when I get FTTC at best it'll be 80/20.

Not *that* bothered about upload though. I don't stream or anything. Most I do is upload stuff to cloud services like Google Drive and OneDrive.

If someone decides to watch Netflix while your gaming, does it still **** your ping up with that speed net ? on my 2Mbit if anyone does anything slightly bandwidth intensive my ping goes from 40 to about 200.

Today I got shown a new side to my city after living here for 24 years. Got taken out by our backpacking house guest from Reunion Island, pretty fun night!
Little cliques of french people in random bars that he apparently knew all of, backpacker housing that's dodgy as **** from the outside but surprisingly awesome inside, including secluded back yard view of the cityscape at night. Makes me miss my teen years and doing stuff like that more often :p

We get ****ty upload speeds over here, even when I get FTTC at best it'll be 80/20.

Not *that* bothered about upload though. I don't stream or anything. Most I do is upload stuff to cloud services like Google Drive and OneDrive.

If someone decides to watch Netflix while your gaming, does it still **** your ping up with that speed net ? on my 2Mbit if anyone does anything slightly bandwidth intensive my ping goes from 40 to about 200.
I can upload and download at the same time and still have a ping of 7 to Dallas servers in BF4. Just the nature of real fiber though.

2004 means 11 years. Unless you mean you were a lurker before.
I got here in 2003 and had a user name that was banned before P.P. Mguire, then eventually PP Mguire.

Back
Top Bottom