Best anti-virus software for its bucks???

Edited my post Yevrag35....Although it is true that MSE is an antivirus, it's not from what I would consider an antivirus company. And MSE's reputation hasn't been stellar this past year either, I no longer recommend it unless the client requests it. BitDefender looks good but the few times I have tried it out, it's too aggressive in what it want's to remove, and there's no user options to really speak of in the free version

I use free Avast with Malwarbytes, every once in a while enable winders Defender to scan once as well - then shut it off again. NO protection is 100%- depends on what "YOU" do. Just my 2 cents...

Edited my post Yevrag35....Although it is true that MSE is an antivirus, it's not from what I would consider an antivirus company. And MSE's reputation hasn't been stellar this past year either, I no longer recommend it unless the client requests it. BitDefender looks good but the few times I have tried it out, it's too aggressive in what it want's to remove, and there's no user options to really speak of in the free version

I have been using MSE for since I built my comp(1 year ago) and every thing has been fine.

I know what you are saying about MSE not being as good, well its gotten alot better in tests recently detecting and blocking threats. I assume this is due to windows 8 coming out and them stepping up for it.

ALSO i like MSE because it uses so little system resources, and is nice and simple.

I just recently downloaded AVG to use when I know I am in dangerous waters. IE, recently "freed" my PSP from its original state, and to download plugins like custom themes and settings is kind of risky, so I double up just in case.

I keep malwarebytes as a back up since as its the best at scanning.

Security Essentials (Win7 and below) and Windows Defender (Win8 and above). Not a penny sent to AV companies.

I agree with Yevrag. I've been using Security Essentials (and now Windows Defender - the same thing), for years now and have not had an issue.

It really comes down to just being smart when you're online. If you're going to shady websites and clicking every link that comes through your inbox, you're going to get infected no matter what AV you use or how much you paid for it. Be smart, don't click links when you don't know exactly what they are, and for the love of pete make backups.

GLaDOS said:
It really comes down to just being smart when you're online. If you're going to shady websites and clicking every link that comes through your inbox, you're going to get infected no matter what AV you use or how much you paid for it.
+1

No matter what program you use, you can't secure yourself against human will.

using avast for over 4 years.... no problem at all.

I have used Avast for 2-3 years now and I just recently deleted it and switched to Avira. Only reason was the fact that i trusted Avast too much and it didn't end up well. The Virus detection is just plain horrible.

There's one thing I say to people when it comes to Anti Virus programs. There's always going to be extras on the side. Trend Micro comes with a ton of other features if you buy it, such as facebook privacy scanner, parental controls, password protected settings, etc. my family uses Trend, but mine ran out 2 days ago and we can't afford it at the moment, so I've switched over to Microsoft Security Essentials for the time being. Yes I know trend is resource hoggy when it wants to be, but it's a pretty good Anti Virus.

Yea theres lots of pros and cons about free and paid softwares... I think ill stick to the free ones for now... I like avast though I have tried avg and its horrible... avast is a step up from avg imo...

Personally I avoid Avast but that's just my opinion, mainly because of the reviews I've read stating that it picks up fake stuff. It thought one of my word documents was a virus for crying out loud xD I mean sure I had written some vbs code, but every other AV said it was fine... That's why I don't use Avast :p

Back
Top Bottom