Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I would have loved SimCity...
if I could connect to the freakin' servers

How is this not bait and switch?! I bought a game that was advertised differently than it actually works, server issues or not.

I told them my computer was too slow to play it ;)

From an engineering standpoint the Lumia is actually inferior to the S3/S4, it's basically a giant hunk of plastic that they CNC machine into a case and as a result is fat and heavy. The molded plastic on the S3/S4 is a far more advanced design which allows it to be both thinner and lighter.

Aluminum does feel nice to a lot of people, I'll give you that, but it's really a compromise when it comes to phones more than an optimal choice. If you were making a phone and only cared for the metal used it would be either stainless steel for aesthetics and durability or Titanium for lightness and durability.

One thing to keep in mind with Aluminum in phones is it adds a lot of potential places to go wrong in the engineering process. First off there is the RF interference issue which basically killed the Transformer Prime and that was a tablet, RF interference in a phone is a much bigger deal obviously. Secondly you have to have some type of finish on it if you don't want it to oxidize and look and feel like crap. In the case of the iPhone and Macs Apple uses anodized aluminum however they cut corners there (probably for cost reasons) and it doesn't hold up as well as one would like to the abuse most phones encounter. I've seen much tougher anodized products but they generally haven't been cheap so the process must cost a lot relatively.

I'd actually like to see phones make use of stainless steel frames with carbon fiber or kevlar fiber panels but my guess is that would cost serious $$$. There are also some plastics out there that you would swear were metal based on the feel and sound of them but they don't seem to be used much.

PP, Kman is right about the cars. In the US nearly every mass production car is steel or aluminum bodied with plastic bumpers. Saturn did make plastic bodied cars and of course there is the fiberglass Corvette as the two exceptions.

Of course, Alu isn't the best material. Structurally, steel is superior. But it would probably end up weighing 300+ grams. Titanium and Carbon Fibre construction would be incredibly great, as Mr Jobs would say. I think the construction of the phone body would be 2 or 3x as expensive, though.

The Nokia is fat and ugly, true. But the concept is good, a solid plastic body. I'm sure it could be thinned down and retain most of it's integrity.

I'm also a fan of FRN. Like I said, they use it on my knife, and it feels very nice.

A quick read: http://faq.customtacticals.com/materials/frn.php

According to that it's actually a cheap material too, while boasting very good properties. Surely a good candidate for phone construction.

Last edited:

Oh you know, they only had Broadway actors doing REALLY bad scenes to show off features, such as an american at a bus stop in Shanghai using the Samsung Translator. It was horrible acting, tried to be funny and wasn't, super massive cheese fest.

The host was an overly confident annoying dick, and kept interrupting with totally scripted and awkward comments that were again supposed to be funny yet fell totally flat.

It is without doubt the worst electronics press conference I have ever seen. Even worse than Microsofts embarrassing E3 conferences of recent years.

The only good thing was the impressive scale. It seemed to be about 4x the size of Apples normal venue.

To be fair, a lot of the presenters are pretty bad/funny to watch. When I was watching the Apple conference to unveil the new Macs the presenters said 'this is cool' all the time.

my friend showed me this the other day, lol.

It's Ridge Racer! - YouTube

You need better scales, it's 116grams - heavier than an IP5 lol (yes I know it's bigger.. ) . Anyway, how can you watch that video and then say it doesn't affect the quality ? If it doesn't affect quality, why do manufacuters use ALU for anything ? Might as well have a plastic PC case. Fancy that ? how about plastic furniture, plastic knives. **** it, lets build skyscrapers out of plastic.

And now you seem to be arguing aluminium isn't metal because you're American ? What the ? Steel isn't used in cars where possible because of it's weight. The new range rover swapped out steel for aluminium because it's over 400KG lighter, which is better when it comes to body panels on cars because you gain performance and fuel consumption. No car manufacturer in their right mind was use iron/steel for anything other than providing the very base structural foundations.

I'm only arguing it because I just can't believe anyone that cares even the slightest amount about build quality can think anything other than what I showed in my video as not very good.

Yes, I totally get that. There ARE advantages to a plastic phone. Everyone seems to be forgetting I upgraded from a metal phone to a plastic phone. I am entirely aware of the advantages. I even said plastic *can* be done well. But Samsungs choice of plastic and how it implements it is an absolute joke. Plastic done right is something like Nokia Lumia.
You obviously missed my sarcastic point with the Murica in paranth. Need not say anymore there.

Samsung phones are fine. You're just making a big deal over nothing. As I said before, their sales prove it. And again, as I said before, you want your metal ****, go back to iPhone.

No, my phone is 75 grams without a battery, 112 with. The scale I'm using is a high quality chef scale.

From an engineering standpoint the Lumia is actually inferior to the S3/S4, it's basically a giant hunk of plastic that they CNC machine into a case and as a result is fat and heavy. The molded plastic on the S3/S4 is a far more advanced design which allows it to be both thinner and lighter.

Aluminum does feel nice to a lot of people, I'll give you that, but it's really a compromise when it comes to phones more than an optimal choice. If you were making a phone and only cared for the metal used it would be either stainless steel for aesthetics and durability or Titanium for lightness and durability.

One thing to keep in mind with Aluminum in phones is it adds a lot of potential places to go wrong in the engineering process. First off there is the RF interference issue which basically killed the Transformer Prime and that was a tablet, RF interference in a phone is a much bigger deal obviously. Secondly you have to have some type of finish on it if you don't want it to oxidize and look and feel like crap. In the case of the iPhone and Macs Apple uses anodized aluminum however they cut corners there (probably for cost reasons) and it doesn't hold up as well as one would like to the abuse most phones encounter. I've seen much tougher anodized products but they generally haven't been cheap so the process must cost a lot relatively.

I'd actually like to see phones make use of stainless steel frames with carbon fiber or kevlar fiber panels but my guess is that would cost serious $$$. There are also some plastics out there that you would swear were metal based on the feel and sound of them but they don't seem to be used much.

PP, Kman is right about the cars. In the US nearly every mass production car is steel or aluminum bodied with plastic bumpers. Saturn did make plastic bodied cars and of course there is the fiberglass Corvette as the two exceptions.
Go to a parking lot and knock on cars. Nuff said.

Just asked a mechanic friend who owns his own shop. He said the majority of modern cars he works on are mainly plastic with aluminum pieces, alloy/aluminum wheels, and an aluminum chassis. He works on cars of all years, makes, and models. He said the only fiberglass car he has personally worked on is a Vette.

Last edited:

My Saturn bumper had styrofoam in it. Plastic cover covering styrofoam. 'nuff said.

The one thing I liked about having a plastic bodied car was the lack of dents...the wind picked up my door the other day on my Scion and rammed it into one of those shopping cart racks in the Wal-Mart parking lot...sigh.

Last night I went to an orchestra concert and then went out and ate sushi.

Today I'm playing HoTS and will do my homework tomorrow :tongue:

You obviously missed my sarcastic point with the Murica in paranth. Need not say anymore there.

Samsung phones are fine. You're just making a big deal over nothing. As I said before, their sales prove it. And again, as I said before, you want your metal ****, go back to iPhone.

No, my phone is 75 grams without a battery, 112 with. The scale I'm using is a high quality chef scale.

Just asked a mechanic friend who owns his own shop. He said the majority of modern cars he works on are mainly plastic with aluminum pieces, alloy/aluminum wheels, and an aluminum chassis. He works on cars of all years, makes, and models. He said the only fiberglass car he has personally worked on is a Vette.

So now sales figures mean fine ? that's some highly flawed logic.

It is most definitely just american cars that are plastic then, I don't know of any plastic cars. Not bashing american cars, but american cars don't exist here and all our cars are metal so that only leaves one factor.

At least I appreciate the benefits of plastic phones and have experience of both. Your statement of "you want your **** metal phone" makes you look like an ignorant child. "I prefer plastic phones because they allow me to replace the battery and SD card, and prove more durable and comfortable for how I hold my phone. Though I can see the benfits of a metal phone" would be a much more respectful and sensible thing to say, no ?

My Saturn bumper had styrofoam in it. Plastic cover covering styrofoam. 'nuff said.

The one thing I liked about having a plastic bodied car was the lack of dents...the wind picked up my door the other day on my Scion and rammed it into one of those shopping cart racks in the Wal-Mart parking lot...sigh.

Most cars have plastic bumpers, because they uhm, bump, better than metal :p

Last edited:

I wouldn't trust that guy to work on a lawnmower then. Toyota Camry = steel unibody and skin with plastic bumpers and every one of it's competitors is the same. Name one mas produced family sedan with a plastic body.

It is most definitely just american cars that are plastic then, I don't know of any plastic cars. Not bashing american cars, but american cars don't exist here and all our cars are metal so that only leaves one factor.

I don't know of any either. Saturn was the only one who consistently did them and they aren't in business anymore.

Last edited:
Just gonna say this... the body of most cars is steel, mostly because aluminum is too weak to perform the job a car body must perform. The body panels though such as the fenders, hood and outer portions of doors tends to be plastic or fiberglass due to the higher cost of.aluminum as well as it being weaker in.light impacts... the frame and most critical components such as tie rods, brake lines or ANYTHING THAT MUST WITH STAND SERIOUS PRESSURES AND STRESS are made of steel or iron.

With that said plastics of the same size and shape as a piece of aluminum tend to flex yes but, aluminum will fail prioir to plastic in the area of bending for one reason.. if held too it will stay bent, plastic can spring back usually unless it.is a sharp bend.. if that happens aluminum would fail entirely and.plastics would hold the bent shape.

Back
Top Bottom