Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

God why? If I wanted cymbal crashes to sound like they were sprinkled with fairy dust I'd watch a live Munchkins performance in Oz.

[/latecomer]

lolwut

I like the way WMP has it's playlist / Now Playing setup. Used Songbird for a bit, tried WinAMP as well. Just kept going back to WMP.

Yea, plastic is still strong. Over Christmas I let my kid play with my phone and he managed to find the tile floor. Still lives with no problems. He did manage to barely scratch the screen though. He flung it across the floor and it took a skid on the screen.

I can actually twist my phone, and it makes a horrible creaking sound as you do it. Sure it's fairly durable, but no more so than a metal phone. My Note 2 isn't in as good condition as my iPhone 5 was though.

The plastic build let's it be smaller ad lighter than the HTC One while still having a removable battery, bigger screen, and and microSD. To me it seems like aluminum is the crappy choice.

Feature wise Plastic allows you to add options such as those easier, you are correct. But it makes it feel cheap and a less premium object. As much as I like what my Note 2 does, it feels like a cheap toy in my hand compared to iPhone, Nexus 4 etc. I don't want a £500 phone feeling like a cheap toy.

They could pretty easily make a removable back out of fiber glass or carbon fiber too.

Last edited:
I can actually twist my phone, and it makes a horrible creaking sound as you do it. Sure it's fairly durable, but no more so than a metal phone. My Note 2 isn't in as good condition as my iPhone 5 was though.

Feature wise Plastic allows you to add options such as those easier, you are correct. But it makes it feel cheap and a less premium object. As much as I like what my Note 2 does, it feels like a cheap toy in my hand compared to iPhone, Nexus 4 etc. I don't want a £500 phone feeling like a cheap toy.

They could pretty easily make a removable back out of fiber glass or carbon fiber too.

I am not sure fiberglass would be as strong as polycarbonate in such a thin piece and even if they did use it it's not like it would feel very different since it would likely get a similar glossy finish.

Carbon fiber would be stronger but it's expensive and I seem to remember hearing that it can cause rf interference like a metal back does.

Motorola does use kevlar fiber for the back of the RAZR lineup

I am not sure fiberglass would be as strong as polycarbonate in such a thin piece and even if they did use it it's not like it would feel very different since it would likely get a similar glossy finish.

Carbon fiber would be stronger but it's expensive and I seem to remember hearing that it can cause rf interference like a metal back does.

Motorola does use kevlar fiber for the back of the RAZR lineup

If Apple and HTC can manage full metal, and Motorola can manage kevlar fiber.. then Samsung could figure something else too. The plastic on S and Note line up crushes/dents easily too.

If Apple and HTC can manage full metal, and Motorola can manage kevlar fiber.. then Samsung could figure something else too. The plastic on S and Note line up crushes/dents easily too.

It doesn't dent as easy as aluminum.

I honestly don't get why everyone wants metal phones, aluminum is hardly a premium material and plastic has many advantages.

Heck if you don't think plastic can be durable look no further than the firearms market, Glock uses polymer frames on all of their guns to save weight and they are incredibly durable.

It doesn't dent as easy as aluminum.

I honestly don't get why everyone wants metal phones, aluminum is hardly a premium material and plastic has many advantages.

Heck if you don't think plastic can be durable look no further than the firearms market, Glock uses polymer frames on all of their guns to save weight and they are incredibly durable.

Same reason people want metal spoons, cars, and ovens.. it's nicer. It's more aesthetically pleasing and feels nicer in your hand, plus the entire phone doesn't twist and creak in your hand.

And it is more premium. Lets not pretend it costs as much to make a plastic phone as a phone from a milled block of high grade aluminum.

I don't know the hardness ratings and stuff, all I can say is my iPhone 5 held up better than my Note 2. Now overall I prefer my Note 2 which is why I have one, so don't think I am being a fanboy.. it is just the truth. I sold my iPhone 5 and it looked brand new once I cleaned it.

I look after my Note 2 really well, and it's in great condition, but there are one or two very small parts of dented or crushed plastic.

And yes - plastic can be nice and premium. Samsungs implementation is far from it though, it's just cheap bendy scratchy plastic coated in a gloss.

My Spyderco knife is a 3inch lockblade knife worth over £100, so it's certainly premium and yet it uses a plastic handle. However, it's a nylon reinforced plastic. It feels very tough, very hard, and yet impact resistant with phenomenal grip. It's the nicest so called 'plastic' i've felt. If Samsung can use the same material then great.

The Galaxy Nexus was the first plastic phone I really liked.
Otherwise I'm all for metal phones. My iPhone 5 feels much more solid than my Nexus did.

Anyways, on topic.
Today I've set up my calendar for next quarter, fixed a few broken computers, and that's really it. Slow Friday.

Back
Top Bottom