• Trend Micro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bit Defender

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tech-Forums Top Rated Antivirus

Yes OneCare is being phazed out as of June 2009. As of July 2009 the free alternative will be available. It will be called Morro.

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/nov08/11-18NoCostSecurityPR.mspx

The statement from teh OneCare team at their Blog and i quote:

In order for us to focus on delivering this new security solution to millions of customers around the world, we have decided to phase out Windows Live OneCare and will discontinue retail sales of Windows Live OneCare subscription service beginning June 30, 2009.

So there you have it. The real info on OneCare.

wow!!!!!!! M$ actually phasing out a paid subscription service to offer something free.

if that actually does happen that will screw over all the other AV companies if they bundle it with windows.

What do you mean if it actually does happen? I gave you 2 different sources that back each other up. I gave you the Microsoft Press Release of Morro. What more do you need for it to be true?

I gave you the OneCare Developer Blog where they confirm they are reaching their end of life cycle.

Sorry but i dont understand why you would say if it happens. It is confirmed by 2 different sources both of which are directly from Microsoft.

I originally posted AVG but have recently uninstalled AVGfree on 2 pc's and installed avast. I like avast's "run before OS boot mode" automatically. Its a good way to check Norton's commercial w/o interference. I have 3 more pc's to go from avg to avast. I'm doing this because , as I understand it, virus' file jump on avg...is this true? I will leave the remaining 2 running LiveOne, one with ie7 and the other w/ firefox. The avast's we're running ad-aware for the spyware.

My first anti-virus software was Norton Symantec, it came in a bundel with Internet Security.
It worked fine then, but I had to buy the upgrade/new subscription every year, and at one point I decided to look for freeware, and found AVG, never looked back ever since. It runs much smoother than Norton ever did for me. For a Firewiall I got ZoneAlarm, which has been great as well!

My first anti-virus software was Norton Symantec, it came in a bundel with Internet Security.
It worked fine then, but I had to buy the upgrade/new subscription every year, and at one point I decided to look for freeware, and found AVG, never looked back ever since. It runs much smoother than Norton ever did for me. For a Firewiall I got ZoneAlarm, which has been great as well!

On any new setup i might buy ill try out Avast + Commodo.
Anyone comment on Commodo?

I am trying out the newer AVG Free for the first time. I have used their older ones years ago. Only untill I get Bitdefender again.

So far, on my XP machine, it found SDFix as a Backdoor.hupigon... amusing I think

AVG Free is annoying to me. Virus found boxes not having ignore features or add to white list features. Especially when it steals 70-98% of my CPU during startup for a very long time. Bitdefender did this for maybe a few seconds, not for 30-70 seconds or more. Its always having update problems. When it does fail, it never tried to attemp another update. I have to manually check again and again till it works.

On any new setup i might buy ill try out Avast + Commodo.
Anyone comment on Commodo?

Comodo is way over active with false positives, just insane amounts so the AV needs a little work but their firewall is pretty easy going.

AVG Free is annoying to me. Virus found boxes not having ignore features or add to white list features. Especially when it steals 70-98% of my CPU during startup for a very long time. Bitdefender did this for maybe a few seconds, not for 30-70 seconds or more. Its always having update problems. When it does fail, it never tried to attemp another update. I have to manually check again and again till it works.

If it's taking up that much CPU, maybe you should get a new PC. If you want something that doesn't work as well and doesn't take up much CPU, then grab ClamWin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom