GTA4 and its CPU intensive needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if GTA4 does it isn't necessary. Most of the fps hits are due to the game being unstable and poorly optimized. Once the fix that it should run fine on a dualie. CPUs are rarely if ever a bottle neck in 3d applications. Compare the work a cpu does to what a gpu does in a 3d game and it looks pretty light.

$3,500 laptop here.... P171 xl fx gateway dual 2.8's & 8800M GTS... 3 GIG's of RAM along with my XBOX controller = HORRIBLE LAG EVEN WHEN SETTINGS ARE ALL DOWN!! i'm bored as **** in Iraq and this crap is sucking bigtime i cant even run from the cops as if i had this insane slow ability to dodge bullets due to lag!

GTA4 in particular uses all 4 cores so thats why it was under the recommended system requirements. If anyone were to build a system today I would recommend going quad core at the very least because its much more likely that more games in the future will adopt actually utilizing the quad cores.

ya i would too if that customer was planning on getting GTA4. The calculations of every person, car, particles, environment, etc working with the Euphoria physics mixed with the RAGE graphics engine. More cores, the better.

Even if GTA4 does it isn't necessary. Most of the fps hits are due to the game being unstable and poorly optimized. Once the fix that it should run fine on a dualie. CPUs are rarely if ever a bottle neck in 3d applications. Compare the work a cpu does to what a gpu does in a 3d game and it looks pretty light.

which can be fixed via patches?

so Zmatt, you saying upgrading from dual-core to quad-core isnt necessary? It improves in everything even gaming but by how much? 5-10 fps? Even an increase of 2-3 fps is good enough for me. It gets me closer to the "30 fps average" magic number that most games try to stay at! Upgrading the CPU is necessary if u have the time, budget, and other needs for multitasking and to take advantage of it.

do u guys really see this game being CPU intensive that is desperately requiring a fast quad-core to run? I do.

um i dotn have thos settings i cant find it. im on server 08. great its not even running it starts up and i get as far as the first gta4 logo and i crash :(

this is my error code
zjwfbl.jpg

um i dotn have thos settings i cant find it. im on server 08. great its not even running it starts up and i get as far as the first gta4 logo and i crash :(

this is my error code
zjwfbl.jpg

does this happen everytime u try to start the game? Go to Start > Games > Play - More Options > Play (Safe Mode). You can try reinstalling it.

ya i would too if that customer was planning on getting GTA4. The calculations of every person, car, particles, environment, etc working with the Euphoria physics mixed with the RAGE graphics engine. More cores, the better.

which can be fixed via patches?

so Zmatt, you saying upgrading from dual-core to quad-core isnt necessary? It improves in everything even gaming but by how much? 5-10 fps? Even an increase of 2-3 fps is good enough for me. It gets me closer to the "30 fps average" magic number that most games try to stay at! Upgrading the CPU is necessary if u have the time, budget, and other needs for multitasking and to take advantage of it.

do u guys really see this game being CPU intensive that is desperately requiring a fast quad-core to run? I do.

Crysis is the most complex pc game around. Is it cpu intensive? No. And yes the 5-10 fps difference isn't worth it when an e8500 cost under $200 and a Q9550 is $300.

IMO GTA4 pc is a failure. its slow and buggy. Yet somehow its aggregate score is 91/100, thats for the PC version only. People are stupid. Having a game this flawed at launch is unacceptable. It seems as though Rockstar just copy pasted the code.

And btw the Xbox 360 only has 3 threads so judging by the lack of optimization I see in the PC version I think I can say with enough certainty that GTA4 does not have 4 threads. Heck it may not even be multithreaded. I haven't seen any reputable source say so yet.

And another thing. On average Dual Cores perform better at gaming than quads. Look at the benchmarks. The high clock speeds and lower IO overhead allow it to run the games faster. This would be different if people were making games with 4 threads but they aren't. Look how long its taken them to get 2 threads going.

Crysis is the most complex pc game around. Is it cpu intensive? No. And yes the 5-10 fps difference isn't worth it when an e8500 cost under $200 and a Q9550 is $300.

IMO GTA4 pc is a failure. its slow and buggy. Yet somehow its aggregate score is 91/100, thats for the PC version only. People are stupid. Having a game this flawed at launch is unacceptable. It seems as though Rockstar just copy pasted the code.

And btw the Xbox 360 only has 3 threads so judging by the lack of optimization I see in the PC version I think I can say with enough certainty that GTA4 does not have 4 threads. Heck it may not even be multithreaded. I haven't seen any reputable source say so yet.

And another thing. On average Dual Cores perform better at gaming than quads. Look at the benchmarks. The high clock speeds and lower IO overhead allow it to run the games faster. This would be different if people were making games with 4 threads but they aren't. Look how long its taken them to get 2 threads going.

ya i know, developers are starting to go quad now but dont blame Rockstar for the port! It just needs more resource to run the game better at higher resolutions which effect everything! Take a look at the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. PS3 is 1152x640p natively, no AA, runs at around 26 fps; the Xbox 360 is 1280x720p natively, 2x AA, runs at around 30 fps. The people trying to raise the visual effects of GTA4 on PC is higher than this, that is why people get slow downs and perhaps a bad port because of bugs, glitches, poor optimizing. Just wait for more patches to fix exploits dude.

it was missign a file because im on server 08 anyoen who gets teh same error as me link to fix it is in this thread. win2008workstation.com • View topic - GTA IV and Windows Server aparently a file doesnt instal when instaling it on server 2008 so you have to go and manualy instal it and download it off the internet.

whoa that sucks! A reply to that link u got says that it wont run on Server 08 according to Rockstar support:

it doesn't matter, cracked or original, it shows the same error message. according to rockstar's support this game won't run on 2008 server ;(

so what now? You can try to sell the game to a friend or find another computer to run it on. Email Rockstar support to get help.

whoa that sucks! A reply to that link u got says that it wont run on Server 08 according to Rockstar support:

so what now? You can try to sell the game to a friend or find another computer to run it on. Email Rockstar support to get help.

no there is a fix in there if you go thru you download the missign file and instal it. i still cant find the directory your pointing me to i got the game workign now but i want to set it to high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom