Intel cuts electric cords with wireless power system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apok all of your rebuttals hinge on us improving technology. I'm not saying we cant improve. But you still haven't given any compelling argument about how we could practically do this today. You are arguing about tomorrow. That is an uncertain time, we have no idea about what will happen. I'm talking about today. No improvments, just what we have right now.

And no, all gamma radiation is dangerous. There is no such thing as low power gamma radiation. When it hits you it damages dna and kills cells. It will cause tumors and birth defects. That is a fact. If you don't believe me read about Hiroshima sometime.

I have nothing wrong with people discussion the possibility of such things and what it would take, but what your doing is just plain obnoxious. WE CANT DO IT TODAY SO GET OVER YOURSELF. try again 20 years from now.

totally off-topic but in the Command and Conquer RTS game series did they name the Tesla coils,tanks,man,boats etc after that Nikolai Tesla guy?:p

Apok all of your rebuttals hinge on us improving technology.
Actually, I've mainly just been providing counterpoints to arguments against its viability, rather than trying to argue for its viability; and most of them don't hinge upon improving technology. For the ones that do though, it isn't exactly an unreliable thing to hinge upon. Technology is always improving.
I'm not saying we cant improve. But you still haven't given any compelling argument about how we could practically do this today.
I haven't made any argument that we should try this today
You are arguing about tomorrow.
Exactly. So, what's the problem?
That is an uncertain time, we have no idea about what will happen.
That's no reason to halt scientific investigation. In fact, it's exactly the reason to investigate it.
I'm talking about today. No improvments, just what we have right now.
Well I'm definitely not.
And no, all gamma radiation is dangerous.
When it hits you, and causes certain types of damage.
There is no such thing as low power gamma radiation.
That doesn't necessitate that it will interact with the molecules in your body.
When it hits you
Which is actually a rare occurrence, unless there is a very large exposure. And even then, you'd still have to actually be standing in the way of it, like I've said again and again.
it damages dna and kills cells.
Sometimes. There is a lot more to hit than just DNA though. And the vast majority of DNA doesn't have any function (except to serve as a buffer for guess what? mutations!)
It will cause tumors and birth defects.
Only if it actually does hit something and cause a certain type of damage.
That is a fact. If you don't believe me read about Hiroshima sometime.
And of course, your example as to why it's dangerous is probably from the biggest exposure a part of the planet has ever had to this much radiation, and not nearly all of it being gamma.
I mean, why not call people to ban water, using the example that a massive tidal wave causes damage to stuff?
I have nothing wrong with people discussion the possibility of such things and what it would take, but what your doing is just plain obnoxious.
And what am I doing? I'm not so sure you understand.
WE CANT DO IT TODAY SO GET OVER YOURSELF. try again 20 years from now.
And again, you're making a strawman argument.
I'm not saying we should do it right now, or that it definitely is 100% viable
I'm
a) saying proper scientific investigation should be done.
b) providing counterpoints to arguments against its viability that I don't think hold

Apok, perhaps you didn't read the beginning of this article, or maybe you aren't reading what I am saying.

We are debating about doing it with available technology. Not whether it couldn't be done in the future. Please get on topic.

And I am not using straw man. I have given real facts. You are the one skewing the debate.

Gamma-rays are not stopped by the skin. They can induce DNA alteration by interfering with the genetic material of the cell. DNA double-strand breaks are generally accepted to be the most biologically significant lesion by which ionizing radiation causes cancer and hereditary disease

Gamma radiation is always bad for you. There is no such thing as low power gamma rays because to be gamma rays means that it is of very high energy.

Sometimes. There is a lot more to hit than just DNA though. And the vast majority of DNA doesn't have any function (except to serve as a buffer for guess what? mutations!)

Simply not true. 90% of our DNA has an unknown function. Geneticists have not figured that out yet.

Regular power stations aren't exactly free though.

And regular power stations don't cost billions of dollars. That's like using a Camry as a justification for a Ferrari.

That all depends how they design it

No, it doesn't. Everything in space is hard and expensive. And that isn't an over generalization, that's a fact of life. You tell me how with our rockets we could get the whole thing up and assemble it without space walks? We can't. The current heavy lifters have the capacity of one satellite and each launch is several millions of dollars. You can't make them self erecting because #1 that's too much extra weight and #2 the maneuvers in space are too complex to leave to an automated system. Someone will have to get out side of the craft and tighten some bolts. This is the way it is for the foreseeable future, so you can't get around that one.

I'm sure they could improve on this

Not in the foreseeable future they aren't. The most efficient solar panels around are also the most fragile. The newer cheaper more rugged ones are less efficient so using them will factor into your power issue.

PVeff(rev110707)d.png

Just want to remind everyone. Nikolai Tesla invented wireless power 100 years ago, but his work was abandoned because nobody believed him. He was 100 years ahead of his time. Its about time some took him seriously and actually do it.

agreed.
+Glad someone knows :)

...Shame Edison didn't give him his money D:

Apok, perhaps you didn't read the beginning of this article, or maybe you aren't reading what I am saying.
Sure I did.
We are debating about doing it with available technology. Not whether it couldn't be done in the future. Please get on topic.
Says who? I'm definitely not.
And I am not using straw man. I have given real facts. You are the one skewing the debate.
Do you even know what a strawman is?
A strawman is attacking a position that the other person does not hold.
You seemed to think that I was arguing that we should try this today, when in fact I wasn't.
Gamma radiation is always bad for you.
Actually, it's possible that genetic mutations can be benificial. In the vast majority of cases, they don't have any positive or negative effect though.
In any case, again, it's only bad for you if it actually hits you and causes damage that is actually harmful
The event of a photon of gamma frequency hitting you is, again, quite rare, unless in extremely high concentrations, such as those from an atomic bomb.
And, when they do, it doesn't absolutely mean it will be harmful. The vast majority of our DNA is not actually functionally used.
There is no such thing as low power gamma rays because to be gamma rays means that it is of very high energy.
I know what gamma radiation is. I know it has high energy.
You seem to be missing that I'm not arguing against gamma radiation having high energy. I'm arguing that it doesn't actually hit you very often, but rather, pass right through the relatively massive gaps between the atoms.
Simply not true. 90% of our DNA has an unknown function. Geneticists have not figured that out yet.
There is empirical evidence of the majority of DNA not having a function.
When mutations occur, which isn't all that uncommon, they have no real effect in the vast majority of cases.
And regular power stations don't cost billions of dollars. That's like using a Camry as a justification for a Ferrari.
That's begging the question. Maybe it won't cost billions of dollars for the future solar panels.
No, it doesn't. Everything in space is hard and expensive.
Not everything, and that's also ignoring research and development that will go into making things cheaper and better.
And that isn't an over generalization, that's a fact of life. You tell me how with our rockets
How about future rockets or alternate forms of transportation?
we could get the whole thing up and assemble it without space walks?
automation using machines and computer-controlled systems.
The current heavy lifters have the capacity of one satellite and each launch is several millions of dollars.
You can't make them self erecting because #1 that's too much extra weight
For what? perhaps our current (mind you, dated) shuttles. Doesn't mean it will be too heavy for any future rockets or spacecraft.
#2 the maneuvers in space are too complex to leave to an automated system.
A long time ago, people would have never believed a computer as powerful as we have could fit inside as small boxes as they often do today.
Making assumptions like this is unscientific.

Someone will have to get out side of the craft and tighten some bolts.
Or some kind of machine. Or it might just be built rugged enough to not need it.
This is the way it is for the foreseeable future, so you can't get around that one.
The future is not inherently predictable.

Not in the foreseeable future they aren't.
see above.
The most efficient solar panels that we currently have
I'll finish here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom