Wireless N routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The laptop only identifies one network, the one we want to connect to. So would it matter what channel I have it set on? I have tried a few combinations of channels, the router has the option of choosing both standard and wide channels, and it didn't make any difference.

I think what I will try is have him bring the laptop to our house and see how far away he can pick up the signal from my wireless g router. If it works better, I will have him buy a wireless g router and return the wireless n router.

I do have a spare wireless b router and I thought about hooking that up but I don't think that would be strong enough or would it? Do you think I can try hooking that one up or would I be wasting my time?

Can someone give me a rough idea when wireless n will be finalized?

The laptop only identifies one network, the one we want to connect to. So would it matter what channel I have it set on? I have tried a few combinations of channels, the router has the option of choosing both standard and wide channels, and it didn't make any difference.

I think what I will try is have him bring the laptop to our house and see how far away he can pick up the signal from my wireless g router. If it works better, I will have him buy a wireless g router and return the wireless n router.

I do have a spare wireless b router and I thought about hooking that up but I don't think that would be strong enough or would it? Do you think I can try hooking that one up or would I be wasting my time?

Can someone give me a rough idea when wireless n will be finalized?

Easy question first :) 802.11n final release = don't hold your breath. The sub-committee within the IEEE drafting this up has jumped through more hoops that I read about than any other wireless technology out there.... ever. That is saying a lot. It's not going to be finalized, most likely, until late next year.

As for the testing, it can't hurt. Personally that is the first thing that I would do in this type of situation. Test with other equipment in order to get an intelligent focus on what the problem really is. Is it signal strength? Is it a crappy device? Crappy card? You aren't going to know until you test knocking out other variables. I would get another router in there to try and see if you can get it working better.

I have been testing his laptop with my wireless g router and it does seem to be stronger. I was about the same distance away and it picked up 2 bars and the internet was pretty slow. So I don't know if it will work at his house or not. I guess I could take my router out to his place but I really don't want to do that. I might have to do that, I don't know.

Let me ask you this, he also has a desktop that I installed a wireless n pci adapter in. If he does buy a wireless g router, would that adapter work with the router? I know wireless n routers are compatible with b and g adapters but are wireless n adapters compatible with b and g routers?

Yes. Everything is fully backward compatible with both cards and routers.

I installed a wireless n adapter is his desktop which is in the next room over from his router and the signal strength is only 90%. That tells me that the router is not very strong at all. I realize that wireless n is not finalized but I thought it would have been better than that. He is for sure going to take the router back.

Another thing about the router, that thing was getting pretty warm, a lot warmer than my router. Do wireless n routers tend to get hotter than other routers?

I have been doing alot of reading and people say to get an access point. What is the difference between a access point and a router? I am going to have him buy a wireless g router or access point since wireless n isn't finalized yet. I also have been looking at signal boosters. Does anybody know anything about them? What kind of signal booster or antenna would be good to buy? He is willing to spend a little if he can full strength. Even with a signal booster or antenna, would it still have problems going through the metal walls?

I should have mentioned this before but the reason he can't pick up the signal going through walls is because the house where he is trying to pick up the signal has all metal sides.

An access point is basically a repeater. e.g. it takes whatever signal the router sends it, and broadcasts it (for a wider coverage area), and does the same to the signal from your pc. In reality it's a little more complicated, but that's basically what it does.

So would I need to buy a router and a access point? How well would that work going through metal walls? I would just like to know what would be the best option for this situation.

didn't you say you already had a wireless router? Buying the access point will only benefit you if you have a router for it to broadcast to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom