Tech-Forums Offical Metal Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
really genres are nothing but BS considering its all opinions
i consider bands like thursday screamo
theres sooooo many genres out there that you cant really classify much anymore
(hair metal, nu metal, death metal, black metal, alternative metal, sweedish metal, underground metal, etc...)

No, Genre's are not all BS. They're catagories that have been around for ever and are classifications generally accepted by the people that are into the music.

Thursday is not a sceamo band, It's not a matter of an opinon. Thursday is an Emo/Alternative band that mostly sings and occasionally screams. They have screamo influences back in the day around Full Colapse. But by definition, their hasn't been a true screamo band for ten years.

Hair Metal isn't an actual genre. Hair Metal is a term used to describe 80's metal bands that had long hair and dressed fashionable eg; Motley Crue. Nu-Metal is an actual genre. Nu-metal describes Metal bands that have hip-hop, rap, or an influence of that sort eg; Korn, some also describe is as psuedo-metal. Alot of true Metal fans and purists despise this type of Metal. Black Metal has been around forever, it's nothing new. Can't say I've ever heard of alternative metal. That sounds like ******** to me. Metal is metal. No alternative crap in it.

Sweedish Metal isn't necessarily a genre. It's more of a term used to described Metal band's that sound like sweedish Metal bands.

Underground Metal isn't a genre, it's a term used to describe indipendent metal bands and small time metal bands. Just like the term underground hip hop. Underground hip hop isnt a genre, it's simply an MC or group of MC's that do hip hop, that aren't in the mainstream.

well to me and alot of my other friend that love metal, hair metal is a genre and tyour really the only person ive ever heard say it wasnt a genre

i have heard plenty of bands use genre names such as hair metal, sweedish metal, alternative metal

like i said it really is all about what you hear in the music and your opinions on it
i bet you a million bucks you piut people from every metal band in the world and there wont be two of them that agree on all bands and genres

i bet you a million bucks you put people from every metal band in the world and there wont be two of them that agree on all bands and genres

I totaly agree, its down to personal preference as I am writing this I am listening to KORN but before that is was listening to God Module an Cyborg Attack. I have some quite unusual tastes, but me an some friends can never agree on what music fits where.

Contents [hide]
1 Primary heavy metal subgenres
1.1 Black metal
1.2 Death metal
1.3 Doom metal
1.4 Folk metal
1.5 Glam metal
1.6 Gothic metal
1.7 Groove metal
1.8 Industrial metal
1.9 Metalcore
1.10 Neo-classical metal