Wireless issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbrze

In Runtime
Is there a way to make it so my sons laptop can't tap into our neighbors wireless routers, only ours?

For one thing set up wpa on your network. Set your network as the default. When you click on the network icon in the taskbar view networks then on the left side go to preferences and remove all the networks listed there except yours and set it as the default.

That suggestion won't do any good... The other networks will show up again when he scan's for networks....

Pretty much your only chance is to talk with your neighbors, and ask them to enable some security on their network to prevent your son from connecting to it.

That's what I was afraid of. Why don't they secure it anyway? Old routers that didn't secure their network or just didn't feel like it?

That suggestion won't do any good... The other networks will show up again when he scan's for networks....

Pretty much your only chance is to talk with your neighbors, and ask them to enable some security on their network to prevent your son from connecting to it.

Yes it will show up but it will connect to the default network everytime, which is what he asked.

Yes it will show up but it will connect to the default network everytime, which is what he asked.

no, he asked if there was a way to stop his son from connecting to their WI-FI.

is the software for yours sons laptops wireless connector/adapter third party or done by windows (zero config)?

if its windows, i doubt theres much chance of stopping it, unless you google something like "limit windows wireless to single network". im pretty sure there must be some administration settings you could change to stop it, and then set your son as a user instead of an admin

otherwise if its third party software, please tell us what laptop it is.

That's what I was afraid of. Why don't they secure it anyway? Old routers that didn't secure their network or just didn't feel like it?

My guess is that they are either un-educated with the fact that their network can be leeched off of, or just too lazy to configure the security...

They probably have a router that is pre-WPA and forget trying to get someone to pick a secure password let alone use a WEP key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom