Windows won't load DVD/CD driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

politico

Beta member
My DVD/CD multi unit has worked ok until today (although I must admit to seldom using it). When I click on the driver in the Device Manager, I get this message: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39). When I used Windows troubleshooting, it told me to contact the hardware manufacturer. However, I installed another multi-drive from the same manufacturer (Lite-On), and I got the same results. Would appreciate any help you guys can give me!

No, the drive uses an IDE connection...but as I stated, I tried another drive with exactly the same results.

I read, on another forum, where a guy said that the only way he knew how to solve the problem was to reload Windows...does that sound reasonable?

Yes, and it would not reinstall. Windows update says the driver is up to date, so it must be corrupted. I'll try to find and download a generic atapi driver to replace it with. Incidentally, thanks for your help...should have mentioned that much earlier.

Windows Update does not check all devices and drivers. You need to go to your manufacturer's website and check if they have any any updates for you. Stop relying on Windows to do everything for you. Yeah it sounds harsh, but it is the truth. Everything PC related is not handled by Windows and does require you to do some work yourself.

I didn't, and don't, have much faith in Windows Update, but as I have found little on the manufacturer's website, I tried it anyway. I will continue to look for solutions on the web...thanks for your inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom