Windows Aero- useful, or cheap trick - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Windows Aero- useful, or cheap trick

i often hear about this Windows Aero feature, and what i'm wondering is: is this something that i'm actually going to want to use, or is it just some little trinket to make things look pretty? most of what i hear inclines me to beleive the latter, that it's just a graphical prestidigitation to eat up my ram.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Windows Aero- useful, or cheap trick

Its nothing but eye candy.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

It doent eat Ram. It uses only about 31,000 K of RAM which is less than any browser, email applicaiton and almost less that windows explorer itself. That s under a heavy load as well. As you see in my shot i am adding that DWM which is the aero interface service it is using only 23,000K while explorer which is the desktop uses 24,000K. Cant say that is EATING RAM when it is using less Windows itself.

While it is only eye candy. It doesnt eat ram.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

lmao? 67 processes running at 17%?
Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazieaznboi View Post
lmao? 67 processes running at 17%?
Well the number of processes depends on what you've installed on the system and what you're running. I've been using my system for a good 4 months now and I've got 43 processes. Also opening taskmgr.exe will naturally and obviously cause a small spike on CPU usage.

As for Windows Aero, its intention is to be more 'aesthetically pleasing' compared to its predecessor. I use aero and I'm entirely happy. No one wants an ugly operating system now, right? :happy:

You could always use the classic theme in Vista.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yes 67 processes. Aside from the Services i have running i have the sidebar, Opera, Outlook, ApexDC++, uTorrent, Windows Live Mail, Trillian, UltraMon, Steam, and there was a few more applicaitons hidden. So to have 67 processes and 17% CPU usage with over 12 applicaitons open and running. Not to shabby. Considering i alspo have the Eset Smart security Beta which has 5 processes of its own. For incoming, outgoing monitoring of not only net traffic but emails and then there was the scan that was going on as well.

So to have that little used and to have that much going on. Its a good things. I dont ever notice a performance hit at all on my system. That is why i run so much stuff at once.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

progress is good...tech evolves...normally when computer tech evolves in hardware, things look better and prettier right?

text based OSes, 8bit..16bit..32bit...etc games in graphics get better too right? You know those fancy hollywood computer GUIs in movies? They don't have to just be fantasy...those things will eventually come to us.

Just as 4 megs and a 250mb harddrive were huge when I built my first computer around age 16 or so....2gigs and 500gbs are average and affordable.

Sure you could be one of those peculiar types who complain about an OS being just eye candy, using up so and so resources and "hogging" X amount of ram....or you could think progressively. You're not still trying to reboot and reconfigure autoexec.bat or config.sys to squeeze out that extra 20k of conventional memory, or shifting around the placement of himem.sys within said files, or trying to find replacement lower footprint sound and cd drivers....

No? The future is good...progress is good.

It's like a house that has a home gym...sure you don't have to use it...but it might make you more aesthetically pleasing...oddly enough some people don't want to be aesthetically pleasing
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic tofu View Post
might make you more aesthetically pleasing...oddly enough some people don't want to be aesthetically pleasing
I don't want to be aesthetically pleasing I was just born that way
Old 07-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2

Aero is very good especially if you are using the Vista color transform programm which changes constantly aero hues.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

wow...... i never have more than 35 process.. lol. only got around 29-32

EDIT: im using windows XP, maybe thats why

Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
Closed Thread