Windows 7 Public Beta Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

ohh sorry mak i just kindve scanned through the posts. what is with ms and the secrecy around windows 7? why are you not allowed to talk about some features?

This is how Microsoft is about all the Betas. They dont want people to talk about certain aspects till they give a official press release. Just like many places do. Apple OS X Beta testers arent allowed to talk of the new version of OS X. It is just that they dont have it leak like Windows does. Windows is not a kept secret. People leak it to get fame and get a name made for themselves.

Microsoft Insiders (like Mary Jo Foley) say that a public beta is expected to start surfacing the interwebs (legally) on January 13th 2009

According to the post on her blog under the update part it says Jan 9th from Mary Jo.

Public betas of Windows 7 client and server could hit this week | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

Update: Nope. It's going to be sooner, not later. The latest word: The public beta of Win 7 client is due to hit Friday, January 9, according to a source familiar with Microsoft's plans. The public beta of Win 7 Server is due to hit a day earlier, January 8, the source added.

Which is exactly what i posted above. So unless she changed her mind in the last 24 hours Friday is what she has said. Not the 13th.

windows 7 is now out on msdn and technet, as announced at microsoft's 2009 ces keynote.

It just hit MSDN and TechNET about 15 minutes ago. So for confirmation here it is.

The leaked build is the Beta 1 Build. There is a update that was released to MSDN and TechNET users that was not included in the beta. So MP3 files are still at risk.

No notice if it will be released to public. Till it is. It will still not be supported.

So there you have it. The leak was in fact the Beta after all.

Information on Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Beta

On January 9th, the Windows 7 Beta will be available for Windows enthusiasts to download via the Windows 7 page on Windows.com. The Windows 7 Beta is going to be available download-only (we're not sending out physical media) and available for a limited time to the first 2.5 million people who download the beta.

The Windows 7 Beta will be available in English, German, Japanese, Arabic, and Hindi, and each language will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions (except Hindi which will only be available in 32-bit). Because the Windows 7 Beta will be offered download-only, it will be provided to you as an ISO image (an .iso file) that you download. After downloading either the 32-bit or 64-bit ISO image of the Windows 7 Beta, you will be required to burn the ISO image to a DVD to install Windows 7. So you want to be sure you have a DVD burner before spending the time downloading the ISO image.

To burn the ISO image of the Windows 7 Beta to DVD, if your PC comes with Nero or Roxio products – you should be able to burn the ISO image to DVD. If you don't already have DVD burning software on your PC, you can also check out ImgBurn which is free and can be downloaded here.

The Windows 7 Beta only supports Windows Vista SP1 to Windows 7 upgrades. So if you intend to do an upgrade – be sure it is on a PC running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1. We are not yet announcing anything regarding finalized upgrade paths for Windows 7.

The Windows 7 Beta will be only available in one edition, which is roughly equivalent the Ultimate edition of Windows Vista.

Also, another important thing to keep in mind is that the Windows 7 Beta will expire on August 1st, 2009.

I also need to emphasize that this is a beta of an unreleased operating system. Be sure to backup all your important data. As much as the Windows 7 Beta completely rocks, part of the beta process is discovering bugs and reporting those bugs. Some of those bugs could possibly lead to data loss. I tend to be a risk-taker myself and have gone all-out with the Windows 7 Beta by putting it on almost all my PCs both at work and at home, but not everyone should do this. I recommend using Windows Vista's Backup and Restore features to ensure your information is backed up before trying out the Windows 7 Beta. Click here for several methods of backing up your data in Windows Vista.

Source

Nice to know Mak. Hopefully I'll be able to get in on that 2.5million users lol...

Only thing i can say is when it is. Could be midnight GMT, midnight PDT where Microsoft is. Could be at noon. Only people that know for sure is Microsoft right now.

The only confirmation is that it is being released. When is anybody's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom