Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

Thanks Mak for the very detailed explanation, the problems Trotter was having is one of the reasons for me having more questions on the best way to go about it.
Glad Trotter systems setup and running again. and ready for the new edition.

Then at Boot you would only have to hit F12 for your BIOS to give you the boot menu and you select which to boot yourself. This way your Vista install wont be affected by the fact that you have its boot information on a slower drive. Causing Vista to boot slower
That seems to be the best way for me to go for testing purposes.

When the final edition comes out I will probably replace my XP or Vista on my main drive with it.
From what little testing on the win7 32bit beta I've done and except for a few problems with IE8 I really like it.
The reason I'm wanting to check out the 64 bit version is to see which one to go with when it makes it to market. Now just waiting for the 5th.

Thanks again for all the Help its really appreciated
TKF

Not a problem. Many things with IE8 have been fixed. Have to remember that the first build of Win7 that went out only had a Beta of IE8 itself. This has the final version that is used in XP/Vista now as well. So that is much more stable.

But all in all use the BIOS trick to install and choose your OS. That will be the best option till RTM in Nov.

Anyone having any compatibility issues with 7 x64?

I personally haven't had any, but I guess a broader sample size of hardware people use would be good.

I'm gonna bring my parents household all up to win 7 late this year. Need some good validation before I do that.

7 64bit runs great on my system, I haven't ran into any compatibility issues.

Personalization Gets Boost in Windows 7 RC

In case you haven't heard, the Windows 7 Release Candidate is officially available on TechNet/MSDN and will be available to the general public on 5/5. The W7 Engineering blog has a post about the new personalization features available in the RC. I'm using it on an old X41 tablet I had laying around and the RC works quite well and adds some useful touches that weren't there in the original beta release.

One of the most exciting parts of engineering Windows 7 has been the wide variety of work that gets done over the course of a full product cycle. As evidenced by the variety of topics just in this blog, one can see that we are hard at work at all levels of the product. For fun, we thought folks might enjoy hearing some of the story behind the new personalization work in Windows 7.

How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7?

Some of the most popular PCs on the market today, equipped with fast and powerful dual- and quad-core CPUs, won't be able to use the vaunted Windows XP Mode in Windows 7.

When Windows Vista launched, Intel and Microsoft both got a black eye over the infamous “Vista Capable” logo. That sticker was slapped on PCs running some of Intel's most popular graphics chips, even though they wouldn't run the new Aero graphics. Microsoft is still battling in court with angry customers (and their lawyers) who felt betrayed by that marketing campaign.

Now, three years later, it appears to be time for the “Vista Capable” sequel. How much positive Windows 7 buzz will be wiped out in coming weeks and months when consumers and business buyers discover that a heavily hyped new Windows 7 feature, XP Mode, won't work on some Intel-based products? The problem is caused by the Byzantine way Intel packages its CPU technology—adding, removing, and tweaking features like bus speed and cache size to hit the widest variety of price points for PC makers.

The new Windows Virtual PC (now available as a beta release for the Windows 7 Release Candidate) requires hardware-assisted virtualization. For your PC to run XP Mode in Windows 7, the CPU has to support Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT) or AMD Virtualization (AMD-V), and this support has to be enabled in the BIOS. . . .
SOURCE

Article includes lists of which do and which don't. Does not include which AMD CPUs have it, though. AMD-V started in the AM-2 line, though.

Got home from work and started the download at 2:30 am EST Gonna let this run through the night (DSL ain't too fast) but can't wait to get this puppy installed, Gotta save some stuff from the BETA first but shouldn't be too much. Plan to install some games on the RC which I didn't do on the Beta so now I will see how the games are in DX 10 with all of the Ram usable in the system. Wonder if the things that where disabled in the beta will be activated in the RC? Hope so because some of those features looked really cool such as the DVR and the TV watching app in the media player. My tuner wont even work in the beta but it has the driver. we shall see.

Dauntae

for whatever reason mine is at 183 kb/s I get up to 1.7kb/s on other downloads...OH well, at least I'll have it when I get up.

Dauntae

Back
Top Bottom