Windows 7 editions help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimsland you are mixing up some information.

Oreo doesnt have Vista installed right now. He has Win7 RC Build 7100 installed. As per Microsoft themselves you can not go from Win7 RC Build 7100 to the Win7 RTM Build 7600 via the in place upgrade method.

So Oreo can not upgrade as he wishes. It will require him to find his Vista DVD, format and reinstall Vista, to upgrade to the final version of Win7. Oreo is correct. I have the information with links in the Win7 FAQ Thread on the very first page toward the bottom.

Question: Will i be able to upgrade from the RC Build to the RTM Build?
Answer: No. There is no upgrade from RC to RTM.

You can upgrade, do you have the COA key affixed to your computer?
If so then you just need to replace the media (DVD) and that's all
Um, just in case, I was talking about him getting his VISTA media replaced
I can also provide the MS links for that if he wishes ;)

Yes so could I. But that is aside from the point. He didnt want to have to go that route. He wanted to be able to just go from RC to RTM. Why spend more money on a Vista DVD if you are not going to use it and just upgrade to Win7? It will cost him almost as much to replace the Vista DVD as it did for him to buy Win7.

Oh, I see
In that case I agree with you
Windows 7 Full version would be preferred, although it is a waste of a registered Vista key

Glad thats clear.

I think i may actually have vista installed on a old HDD, or do i need the actual disk ?

Thanks for the help.

The disc, is not required if you have installed on a drive already
But you must first confirm that all the Vista files are intact

Perhaps i am in luck then :D I don't care if i have to do a complete format and reinstall of Windows 7, or the upgrade.

Either will do :p

At this time, like i state right in the Win7 FAQ thread, it is unknown if you can use the Win7 Upgrade Media to perform a full install. That wont be known for another 10 days when the upgrade media becomes available. But judging from the past of Windows Vista, it will be possible without having to hack up a old Vista install that could possibly create more havoc for you by trying to use a old Windows install on new hardware.

Actually strictly speaking the "hack up" vista that may work, and will likely be posted everywhere around the Net, is against MS EULA (hmm, Actually I think MS are still working on that Windows 7 definitive what's allowed)
Anyway, as you said, we'll know in 10 days

forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds or threadjacking. I have a simple question that I don't think needs a new thread. I have a laptop I bought used. had to replace the hard drive. I do not have anthing for the vista that was on it, I installed win7 RC 7100. now I will need to buy the full version of win7 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom