win 10

The name of my software is Greycat. And no they don't offer it for win10 at all. It is a small business that never recovered from loosing the home office outside of New Orleans from the floods from Katrina - actually the building was looted. .

So, it looks like you're using a chiropractic billing software, yes? Which is essentially an electronic records management system that is being used in healthcare nationwide almost. This is why I said that you're never stuck with your software and have choices and shouldn't be bullied if what you said earlier is true.

You're one of tens of thousands of chiropractic offices in the US (if my assumption is true about your software). Pick a different software if they won't support you. Especially if they never recovered from Katrina. As a business, they should have recovered long ago by this point.

Here is a link to get you started: Top Chiropractic Software: 2015 EHR & Billing Systems

I've also personally assisted with my chiropractor. He ended up choosing this solution and loves it. It was definitely easy to setup considering there wasn't much involved: Power Your Practice with Our Add-on Services

Just a few thoughts for you and your office. ;)

MidnightShadow... I don't think you have dealt with SMB's and third party software contractors often... Most of them write the software a single time, and offer support for a certain length, for that one revision of code. They won't go and re-write the software to be fully compatible for another OS with out payment, and usually the second time around it's more costly as they must make the software compatible with the old software, which takes more time.

Then you run into issues where third party software contractors either die (single dude that bit the dust) or just move on to bigger and better things.

Support =/= writing new batch of code.

I've dealt with it enough to know that you have options. More and more software companies are moving away from this type of thing to a more fully supported environment. Actually, thanks to cloud hosting, most are moving that way instead, which means system requirements be damned and support is included since it's a subscription. I've also found that, typically, the subscription pays off right away since it includes support and all software updates (Quicken as an example of that).

Unless it's a very niche business, that business model you're referring to is quickly going the way of the VHS.

I guess you live in a big city then? Because not a single company is going that way here, they refuse to budge because of costs.

I guess you live in a big city then? Because not a single company is going that way here, they refuse to budge because of costs.

And then those companies will struggle and end up having to hire out help to assist them in migrating to a new system for more than it would have cost before. It's all about technical debt - gotta start "paying" it off sometime...otherwise it just keeps getting worse.

Yes- I could get new software- the problem is - MY office is now at 75% cash patients. That is directly due to the way insurance companies are setting up their policies in response to the "Affordable Heath-care Act". So , now have people with $4k deductibles, $35 copay's, etc. all making the cost, hassle of using their insurance mute. So, Why pay $$$ for only 25% of my patients billing when my current system still works fine - although is antiquated to be sure. However, it costs me nothing monthly, and the percentage of patients that I bill insurance for will continue to get smaller over time. SO, should I go thru the hassles and costs to get new software just so I can use win10? Doesn't seem to make sense to me- maybe I am missing something.

SO, should I go thru the hassles and costs to get new software just so I can use win10? Doesn't seem to make sense to me- maybe I am missing something.

Just for Win10? No. To make sure you're actually up to date and can migrate more easily in the future without having to spend 3x as much money? Yes. If you keep putting off upgrades, the future will just be more difficult in moving away from the old software. Like I said - technical debt, mate.

Not exactly a big city. And I have run into businesses that waited and waited which is a bad idea for this reason:

Just for Win10? No. To make sure you're actually up to date and can migrate more easily in the future without having to spend 3x as much money? Yes. If you keep putting off upgrades, the future will just be more difficult in moving away from the old software. Like I said - technical debt, mate.

(+1 by the way)

On top of spending 3x more, there was the "OMG" factor of Windows XP's support coming to an end rather abruptly for those not paying attention to the message that XP was giving them. Some businesses STILL chose to continue with XP, which is a huge security risk especially in the medical field.

Yes- I could get new software- the problem is - MY office is now at 75% cash patients. That is directly due to the way insurance companies are setting up their policies in response to the "Affordable Heath-care Act". So , now have people with $4k deductibles, $35 copay's, etc. all making the cost, hassle of using their insurance mute. So, Why pay $$$ for only 25% of my patients billing when my current system still works fine - although is antiquated to be sure. However, it costs me nothing monthly, and the percentage of patients that I bill insurance for will continue to get smaller over time. SO, should I go thru the hassles and costs to get new software just so I can use win10? Doesn't seem to make sense to me- maybe I am missing something.

The ultimate reason for keeping up with it is this: you're already not wanting to spend money to keep the upgrades current. If you continue to wait, like Carnage said, it's going to end up costing that much more in the long run. Eventually, you will be forced to upgrade. So, you can either keep up and spend a little bit at a time, or wait until you're forced to upgrade and spend a lot all at once.

Personally, I would recommend a cloud service of some sort. There are plenty out there that offer low cost. Yes, the monthly payments are a nuisance for a smaller business, but it usually (if you shop around) will end up around the same amount of money as if you upgrade consistently. It also has the added bonus of not relying on a computer. If the computer goes down, log into the service from a different machine. Little or no downtime.

Back
Top Bottom