Vista express upgrade details

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I'm building a pc w/ some leftover parts for my dad and will need to buy a copy of XP for it. Now they're offering the free or discounted "express" upgrade to vista when it's available for consumers. Here's my question, not sure if anyone knows, but worth a shot...

I was planning to get XP Home (newegg around $85 or so) since he only does basic computing. He won't need vista, so I'm trying to figure out a way to use that express upgrade for myself, currently running XP Pro, and planning to upgrade to Vista Business.

Is it possible to buy XP PRO for his build to qualify for the Vista Business express upgrade - http://urlci.com/3f117f - and then install the vista upgrade on MY system, upgrading from XP Pro? It would be an upgrade, not a clean install, which was always the limitation of XP upgrades in the past.

I suppose a backup plan would be to buy myself a new XP Pro from newegg w/ the express upgrade option, and install my current XP pro on his comp since it. Seems like more work, but maybe not. I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to get myself a legit vista business copy since I'm having to buy XP this late in its shelf life.

On a similar note, does anyone know how the upgrade program will work? Do you just send proof of existing XP and purchase date and they ship you out a vista disc?

Any suggestions? Reading that may have been like a maze, sorry.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom