Thinking about downgrading to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am thinking about downgrading to XP Pro 64bit from Vista Premium 64bit.:( Mainly because I keep getting video card errors, display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered, and no matter what I try, I can not get it fixed. I have read numerous other complaints about this problem and there doesn't seem to be a solution.

What I want to know is am I going to have trouble going back to XP Pro? Is it as simple as reinstalling Vista? What cd key would I use, Vista or the XP key?

BTW, I do have the cd and the key for XP Pro.

Use the xp key....

Personally i'd try an stick out Vista, but if you want to, just do a clean install, should work fine

What video card do you have btw?

Its actually its prolly easier to install. Same thing as vista. But what you can also do is do a Dual boot on 2 partitions. If you don't already have more than one partition. Thats what I would do.

I can't imagine that XP 64 would be any better than Vista 64. XP 32 vs Vista 64, okay you got me there... but XP 64 bit support absolutely sucks from what I've heard.

Use the xp key....

Personally i'd try an stick out Vista, but if you want to, just do a clean install, should work fine

What video card do you have btw?
Sorry this wont work.

XP and XP X64 are not interchangeable Serial wise. You can NOT use a XP PRo serial on a XP X64 install.

XP X64 was based off of Server 2003 and the serials are not compatible.

So if you want to downgrade to XP X64 you will have to buy it.

I have the XP 64bit edition. I guess I thought it was the Pro edition as well. Do they make a XP Pro 64bit edition?

I still haven't made up my mind. I may do some more troubleshooting and see if I can get it working. I found some downloads from Microsoft that is supposed to fix the problem. I'm pretty sure that this is not a driver problem.

Yes XP X64 is the Pro edition. I was just saying it sounded like you were only mentioning the fact that you have XP Pro 32 Bit since you never made reference to X64.

8800gts? that card is giving you issues in Vista64? I used 8500gt for over a year in Vista 64 no problem running in single mode the only problem I had was running them SLI in Vista x86 (32bit) or x64 but I heard it was related to the 8500 not 8800. but XP x86 or x64 ran the SLI no problem.. and yeah there is only one edition XP x64 and that is pro.

What I want to know is am I going to have trouble going back to XP Pro? Is it as simple as reinstalling Vista? What cd key would I use, Vista or the XP key?

BTW, I do have the cd and the key for XP Pro.

Eer, Mak, someone cofused then, Cos he says going to XP Pro, then he has key for XP Pro....

Yes as i stated a couple posts up i was confused cause he said XP Pro but not XP Pro X64. The only version of XP in 64 Bit is Pro. That is why i was confused. But he cleared this up when he said that he has a serial for XP X64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom