Problem dual booting XP pro and Debian

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I asked about whether or not you were running a SATA drive was to inquire whether or not you had the necessary SATA drivers installed in order for XP to run... unless you had the SATA drives in IDE Legacy (Compatibility) mode.

Alright got home and booted up same message. I figured what the ****, aint got nothing to lose so i wiped my hard drives, all three of them. Set my BIOS settings to default, changed a bit of settings like boot device priority and RAID controller settings to off since im not using a RAID this time around. Loaded up windows, the slow way. Tried getting nlite to write me an ISO but every time i tried to burn it, it would epically fail. So I'm gonna try burning it today at work see if it is my laptop that is not liking nlite. In any case, I got XP pro loaded onto my 320 GB HD, while the other two remained blank, ran through the set up and customization stuffis like my network settings, my timezone etc. So it finishes installing and reboots pop out the install disc, popped out the floppy from before, and then BSOD...

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prvent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drive or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer
Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789E63C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So that is where I am at right now. Any ideas?

Check your BIOS. What Hard Drive does it say you are using to boot? Is that the same hard drive that you are installing Windows to?

Is the XP Disk scratch free and in good working condition? Have you run tests on the hard drives to test them for bad sectors and such?

Ok I managed to get closer to what I was hoping. Not exactly what i was going for but it is working so. Ok here is what I did.

Got my 2x 160s in a RAID 0 with XP on it (they were are in my SATA 1 and 2 ports). That seemed the only way it would work was in a RAID...heh oh well. Next what I did was unplug the RAID from the mobo and put in the SATA 3 port my 320. Was recommended Ubuntu or Kubuntu to start out on Linux distros. So i downloaded both and ran them on my laptop and I chose Ubuntu cause i like the feel of it better. Anyhoo used ImgBurn to write the ISO to a disc and ran the installer on the 320GB hd. Now here is where it gets tricky. The only way i can get into Windows is if i set my Boot priority to the RAID first and not go into GRUB. But if i have my Ubuntu drive set up to boot first and use GRUB to go into XP i get the same BSOD.

How can I fix this? I realize its going to be something in GRUB or reinstalling GRUB somehow. But I am a linux and terminal nooblet...think of me in terms of going from Nancy Drew to CoD4 when it comes to linux. So any links with pics or detailed instructions would me most helpful, or if u can post it that would be great too.

Just realized this was in the Windows section of the forum. Hehe ill post it in the appropriate section as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom