Please help! (XP home/Samsung netbook about 5 years old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFlitcraft

Beta member
Ok so I have a problem that is beyond what I know about removing viruses. Before I go any further I need to let you know that this virus prevents me from using anything that I download so I can't download any program to fix this. (I've been trying!) Anyway what happens is when I click on a file a dialog box pops up stating I need to find the program that created this file. It will give me the option to select from a list or from the web. I have tried to do a system restore but am unable to run anything. Literally the only thing that works is IE/Firefox. I can't even mute!!! :cry: I don't have any kind of cd drive on or connected to it so I can't run a disc either! Please advise! Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You will need to get a USB Thumb Drive and access to another PC. That way you can download the files and transfer them using the USB Thumb Drive and with Safe Mode execute them to help get rid of the virus.

Well the only problem is when I get into safe mode it's just like it is in regular mode...nothing works. I have a drive I can move files to which I may have to use when I throw this thing out of the window! Thank you for your reply!

Well it would be wise to backup the data. But you dont know for sure which data is compromised and which is not. So that is something to consider. But without a doubt if Safe Mode doesnt work then you will have to backup, get an external optical drive and reinstall Windows.

Ok so I have a problem that is beyond what I know about removing viruses. Before I go any further I need to let you know that this virus prevents me from using anything that I download so I can't download any program ... Literally the only thing that works is IE/Firefox. ... Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Have you tried an "Online Scanner", nothing to "download and run" it sends the scripts to you if you can click a button on the Website.

Here is one of many Places: http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=WRJXKPGFRHUUEOLULNP use Google to search for "Online Virus Scan".

Thank you all so much for your help with my issue! I finally got things taken care of after having to reassociate the files with their extension. (Totally beyond my knowledge...thankfully I got ahold of my sister who is an IT professional and walked me through some stuff I can't even remember.) I already had installed Malwarebytes so once I was able to use it again I ran it and found adware all over in my registry! What gets me is I have antivirus on here and this is the second time I've caught something and was never warned/notified by anything! I never downloaded anything so I'm not sure where I picked it up! Anyway, thanks again for all your tips! I hope that I, with my limited knowledge, may be able to help someone else on here....I know a great deal about dogs so if anyone needs help with that feel free to message me! :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom