partitioning q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
say you want to partition a HD and youve bought or built a new computer how do you do it i mean i know theres software like partition magic etc etc but there on windows platforms how do you partition your HD if you havnt got windows/ o/s

That's done through windows, Gparted though has more features like formating it in various file systems like FAT, NTFS, EXT3 ect.

NTFS is the one you should use for windows.

i know windows can partiton for you but ive heard letting windows partition for you is not as good as you partitioing it using a proper good partitioning tool

Gparted is by far the superior tool it's dedicated partitioning tool rather than using the OS to do it.

Saxon is right. GParted is the best and it is free. If you want something else you can always try Acronis Disk Director.

I agree that GParted LiveCD is about the best tool for working with partitions. But I've never had any trouble creating a partition on a new hard drive with the Windows installation disk. If that's all you want to do, don't waste your time with a partitioning tool; just install Windows and it will take care of it for you.

But if you want a more complicated partition scheme, use GParted LiveCD.

i know windows can partiton for you but ive heard letting windows partition for you is not as good as you partitioing it using a proper good partitioning tool

that's bull. other partitioning tools has more features, but a partition is a partition. none is better than the other. the xp cd has the simplest partition program for windows. it's impossible to partition it wrong with the xp cd. other programs can partition the mbr or partition table which will leave you with an unbootable system (can you say acronis disc director)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom