OS choice Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingmanRoss

In Runtime
Ok,I tried Ubuntu,not what I was hoping for.My problem is,I can not get rid of the boot choice of XP/Ubuntu now.Pretty sure it has to do with the bios but can not remember.I want to start my PC n go directly into windows like before instead of having to make a "choice",especially since I uninstalled Ubuntu(Linux)

This is a problem with the Linux boot loader called grub, to fix it boot into windows an open up the Command Line and type fixmbr this should restore the default windows boot loader.

Can also put in the XP CD and go to the Recovery Console and type fixboot and fixmbr.

went to command prompt(accessories) but it said not recognized.

did fixboot also,so "command prompt" must not be the right one,I went to start/programs/accessories/command prompt,I take it that was wrong?

Ok,did the recovery thing but its still the same,I realize all I have to do is 1)nothing
2)hit enter(as XP is automatically highlighted,but,that is NOT how I want to go,I want it back to normal startup,now I am hating Ubuntu,it really sucks the way they did that.

You must not have done my suggestion properly. Cause that is how you fix a XP Boot problem.

Recovery Console with fixboot and fixmbr after you select the Windows install you have and inserting your password.

I know it works to recover the XP bootloader cause i have done it at least a 1000 times. So you must have missed something in the process.

Also please dont triple post. Thank you.

Well,did exactly what you said,it even said it was fixed but it did not repair it but I will just let it go for now.

After all that n nothing worked,I did System Restore back 2 days ,now PC is back to normal.Thanks everyone.Sys. Restore seems to be better than most things.

Well glad it is sorted. Did you go to the root of the directory tree when you did the fixboot and fixmbr commands or were you still in C:\Windows when you typed them in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom