My HP computer is SLOW - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dykzeulb Send a message via MSN to dykzeulb Send a message via Yahoo to dykzeulb
Default My HP computer is SLOW

I just recently got a cheap (400.00) HP computer from WAL-MART that has Windows Xp home edition on it and I have a few songs and have kazzaa and have a cable mdem on it which is connected all day.....This computer should be faster right? It takes 4-ever to load stuff and I think there maybe some spyware or something on it....some help

Old 07-06-2004, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Hey,
Get copies of spybot search & Deystroy and Adaware from http://pcworld.com/downloads/collect...id,1247,00.asp

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 07-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Make sure and download the newest updates before running the scan. Be prepared to run into some issues with Kazaa.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 07-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dykzeulb Send a message via MSN to dykzeulb Send a message via Yahoo to dykzeulb

been there done that....Will try pcworld link though

~Hit me up on *AIM*drexoyl-*Yahoo*dykzeulb-*MSN*brett_dykzeul Instant Messengers~MidwestCustomz.Net
Old 07-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

adaware is your best bet...also look for 180search stuff which is eally bad spyware...and web ebates
Old 07-07-2004, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hmmm.......I do beleive I have 180.........I will have to look

~Hit me up on *AIM*drexoyl-*Yahoo*dykzeulb-*MSN*brett_dykzeul Instant Messengers~MidwestCustomz.Net
Old 07-07-2004, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

if you must use a P2P program, stray away from Kazaa. that thing causes all kinds of havoc on a computer. it's a terrible program and i've seen it do some damage on quite a few computers as far as the computer running efficiently! if i were you, definitely check for viruses/spyware and get rid of Kazaa.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Ya know i gotta admit whenever i read threads like this, it's sort of funny to see how people (who might know a little or a lot about computers) jump the gun and just automatically ASSUME the PC is bogged with spyware wihtout even first asking the basic diagnostic questions.

<rant>
Before jumping to conclusions and suggesting spyware removal tools, how about asking some basic questions? like how much RAM is installed..... is the HDD defragged on a regular basis.... how about running msconfig and seeing which applications are trigged to load up on boot up (thus tying up resources)... etc, etc.

People, do a little homework on PCs first before just blurting out answers that provide little value for users needing assistance. Before i became knowledgeable about PCs, i used to keep my mouth shut on forums whenever i didn't have an exact answer. I was a noob and the only way I could learn was by reading books, forums, and journals. Hell i'm still a n00b when compared to some of the Mods here... but if i feel that i'm not knowledgable about a certain topic, i'll sit back and read and try to actually learn something new rather than blurting out some crap that might have no relevance to the question asked.

Yeah i know i'ts a free country and you can post whatever you want. I'm just saying dont' just throw sh*t up in the air and hope it sticks. There's a certain protocol to follow.
</rant>
Old 07-07-2004, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf
Ya know i gotta admit whenever i read threads like this, it's sort of funny to see how people (who might know a little or a lot about computers) jump the gun and just automatically ASSUME the PC is bogged with spyware wihtout even first asking the basic diagnostic questions.

<rant>
Before jumping to conclusions and suggesting spyware removal tools, how about asking some basic questions? like how much RAM is installed..... is the HDD defragged on a regular basis.... how about running msconfig and seeing which applications are trigged to load up on boot up (thus tying up resources)... etc, etc.

People, do a little homework on PCs first before just blurting out answers that provide little value for users needing assistance. Before i became knowledgeable about PCs, i used to keep my mouth shut on forums whenever i didn't have an exact answer. I was a noob and the only way I could learn was by reading books, forums, and journals. Hell i'm still a n00b when compared to some of the Mods here... but if i feel that i'm not knowledgable about a certain topic, i'll sit back and read and try to actually learn something new rather than blurting out some crap that might have no relevance to the question asked.

Yeah i know i'ts a free country and you can post whatever you want. I'm just saying dont' just throw sh*t up in the air and hope it sticks. There's a certain protocol to follow.
</rant>
True statement. People souldn't just assume this is a spyware problem just because the PC runs slow. I wouldn't rule spyware out, but I just wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Dykzeilb, what did you expect to get from HP for only $400 anyway? I have had experience with HP and even mid-range ones are worlds slower than comparable home-built ones. For instance, my $1000 HP with an Athlon 2600+ came with PC2100 memory and its hard drive was only 5400RPM with a 2MB buffer, which slows things down tremendouly. Plus, all the ads and promotions that HP preloads just eat up system resources. If I were you, I would return that HP PC and build my own. You could build something that is sooooo much better for only $500.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

umm, here are your 2 problems:

1)HP
2)Walmart

j/k

Closed Thread