Keeping popup windows open? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Keeping popup windows open?

Lots of times when I am working on downloading applications which have popup windows I constantly have to keep minimizing and maximizing the small popup windows, is there a way to have multiple windows up on the screen at the same time?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Anyone have any idea what he's talking about?

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 03-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

He's talking about those popup windows [when installing or upgrading softwares mainly] which prompt you to close it before you can get back to any of the other windows on your screen. If you attempt to click on another part of your screen you hear the beep and have to close that small window before you can get back to anything else, is there a way to keep these types of popup windows which usually don't have a minimize button open? Hope this explains things better.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

You mean switch between different windows with alt tab?
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Let me see if I can find an actual example, when I am posting for help here on this forum when fixing a pc and I come across a prompt with an error message, these prompts usually don't have a minimize button so I have to get a paper and pen, write down what the error message is then close the prompt window in order to get back to the post I am trying to write, what I am asking is if there is a way to keep these types of small popup windows open so I can switch between whatever windows I may have on the screen without having to close the error message or popup window so as in the example above, this will prevent me from having to write down the message with a paper and pen?
Old 03-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Ok now I get you, but have you try Alt Tab to see if you can switch between windows? There's probably a registry hack for this, but I am not sure where to begin to look.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Next time I come across that situation I will using the Alt tab as you've suggested and get back to you, thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by mikehende
these prompts usually don't have a minimize button so I have to get a paper and pen, write down what the error message is....
First off, don't waste your time writing the messages down. Just hit alt+PrtScn, which will copy a screenshot of the message to the clipboard, then paste it into Paint or some other location.

Second, it is probably not possible to change the behavior of the alerts in Windows. By design of the function, they don't have a minimizing feature. They can only be active (in focus) or inactive (no focus/behind an active screen). When they pop up, you've either got to let them continue existing, or close them.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 03-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Windows version of Expose’
http://www.entbloess.com
Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for the link Eric B, have written to them to find out if it can do exactly what I want, will post back here when they answer.

Closed Thread