Enterprise Search Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigneshjsoni

Beta member
What is enterprise search tool. I googled it and it says it is used for enterprise wide search and indexing. But I dont understand the overall concept.

Why do you need to search document ? If I am working in an enterprise, I know where my files are, Why do I need to search them ? In windows desktop environment, I can just use search functionality and it goes through all the files and searches the right file. If I want to search someone else's work, I wont have permission to do so. So how would this tool help ?

What do the enterprises do, who dont have this tool ?

Why is it needed ? Since how long is it in use ? What are the prerequisites to have this tool ? Under what kind of environment is it required or is helpful ?

What Microsoft product is available as Enterprise Search tool ?

Pls explain.

Hello,

First please do not start multiple topics.

The answers are simple. Some people do not know where their files are. They save them to a location and do not know where that location is. This is where the indexing of the hard drive comes into play. The indexing will make the search perform quicker and allow the results to be displayed in a much faster manner.

You may not personally need to search cause you know where they are but can you vouch for everyone in your Organization? Do they know PC's well enough to find a document in their My Documents folder? Woudl they know that the default location is changed to a Documents drive?

You personally may not have permissions to view the files but that is not saying that admin or someone else doesnt have the rights to search every document. You are only looking at this form your personal aspect. You are not looking at it form a Administrator at all. What if you had to find all documents with the work Microsoft in them. You can search every document. How would the tool not be useful then??

These tools have been in use for a while now. When the Google Toolbar first came out is when the indexing of hard drives started. Microsoft and everyone else followed.

I cant tell you the prerequisites to have the tool cause i dont run a enterprise. As i have explained above it can be helpful in man enviroments. You are not looking at it from any other perspective other than your own and how it relates to you. HAve to be open minded and think that not everyone will know PC;s well enough to know where files are stored.

These tools are made for those people. There is things like Outlook, Windows Search tools that uses thigns like this.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks for reply.
I have put forward all these questions because they are related.

Is the search using Enterprise Search Tool, same like using Desktop Search on windows ? if not, how is it different ?
Is it hard to use Enterprise Search Tool and does it require any training ?
How does an organisation search the files which does not have Search Tool installed ?

Pls explain.

Is there a specific enterprise search tool you're working with?

The basic concept of all of these is that it will index network shares on a specific server (or server farm) from which all users can search files and file contents much quicker than using the built in windows search and without having to make an index on the local computer (windows desktop search).

The biggest advantage in my mind is that it indexes within files as well.

Depending on your user base, you may need minimal training.

1 When we use windows search on desktop. Does it work on the same principle or different ?
2 Is Enterprise Search Tool just a software or some hardware also ?
3 How does an organisation search the files which does not have Search Tool installed ?

Probably I will be working with Autonomy or verity.
Thanks

1. It's the same prinicple, but the index is generated on each computer (unless you have the file server index its contents, in which case it's indexed on each file server).

2. The actual tool is just software, but you usually host it on a dedicated server(s)

3. I'm familiar with SharePoint, in which you hit it via a web page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom